PDA

View Full Version : Indo LR at golds

AndyL
12-31-2004, 07:38 PM
I had to pick some up today (while $ is still in bank account before tonights drinking binge). So I got dennis to grab me 15lbs of their Indonesian Live rock today.

This has GOT to be the nicest rock I've seen yet. Really colorful, loose - full of holes (big holes too). I was figuring on close to 50lbs to get the rock the way I wanted it in the 20g... Looks like I may only be able to fit another 10-15lbs!

Really can't wait to see what life comes out - There's already a ton of sponges, macro algaes and I think I even spotted a small hunk of acro...

Thanks golds!

Andy

Tarolisol
12-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Keep an eye out for angry crabs ive got lots of those from indo live rock

G1GY
01-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Keep an eye out for angry crabs ive got lots of those from indo live rock

I got rid of around 10 - 12 crabs from my 100 lbs of indo. :smile:

*EDIT*

So after making this post I decided to go take the flashlight and look for more crabs to remove from my 90 gallon reef.
I spot one of the little hairy monsters on a high rock and try to grab it with my forceps only to injur it. It falls to the sand on the bottom where it boogies off to a hard to get to corner! (I can still see it though because of the moon lights on the tank.)
I sit there watching it (while trying to decide how to get it in that spot.), when all of a sudden.........The new Bullseye pistol shrimp(That I bought at Gold aquariums yesterday) comes out from under a rock and grabs it!! :eek:
The shrimp took it back under the rock and I could hear it popping like crazy!
I put the light of the flashlight on the hole and seen the shrimp offing the crab.

I never expected anything like this, but it was definately the coolest thing to happen while watching my reef at night. :biggrin:

Tarolisol
01-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow thats incredible i need to get one of those crazy killer shirmps. Ive taken out 4 crabs from one piece of rock. Two hair leg ones and 2 monsters. Some are really hard to catch. How did you go about catching all yours.

G1GY
01-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I use a pair of long nosed forceps from my fly fishing gear and keep the flashlight on them with one hand while grabbing them with the forceps.
It works great except you end up grabbing the soft (Hairy ones) too hard most of the time. :smile:

*EDIT*

Here's a couple of pic's of the one type I had lot's of.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1376Crab1.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1376Crab2.jpg

I think it's some kind of rock crab.

Notice the red eyes in the first pic? They almost light up like LED's when you shine the flashlight on them at night.

Also, I've never seen one of these during the day. (But removed 6 in the dark!)

Bob I
01-01-2005, 07:30 PM
The Indonesian LR and the Fiji LR are all mixed together in the tanks at Gold Aquariums. I picked up some Fiji the other day. I wonder if I should be looking for crabs too. :question: :eek:

impreza
01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
OMG, the SAME thing happened with me!

I have been having a problem with this crab that is about the size of a toonie, maybe larger. I bought one of those pistol shrimp yesterday at gold's and I wake up this morning to see the crabs large claw on the sandbed!

AndyL
01-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Do we have a proper ID on these crabs? Are they known to be reef unsafe?

Andy

Bob I
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Andy

Gary has good pictures, so maybe he could fire them off to Ron Shimek at the "hitchhiker FAQ" to get an ID, and let us know what the response is :question:

impreza
01-01-2005, 09:59 PM
The crab I had looks exactly the same as the one in the photos. I never saw him eat any corals, but it was responsible for my snail graveyard!

Tarolisol
01-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Im almost positive they are xanthid (sp?) crabs. Not a very nice crab those are the monster crabs i keep getting, also the smaller hairy ones but i dont think they are that bad, but i still wont trust a crab in my tank if i dont have to.

snaggle
01-01-2005, 10:19 PM
any one with a crab coming up north I wouldnt mind getting one from some one. please PM me if you are heding up here and can give me one.

Brad

AJ_77
01-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Im almost positive they are xanthid (sp?) crabs. Not a very nice crab those are the monster crabs i keep getting, also the smaller hairy ones but i dont think they are that bad, but i still wont trust a crab in my tank if i dont have to.
I should dig up Quinn's old posts from his crab adventures - I even got a couple months later that had eluded capture - turns out there are very few species of hitch-hiker crabs that are "nice" for our reef tanks.

The posts about how to euthanise them were quite entertaining as well... :eek:

Bob I
01-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I should dig up Quinn's old posts from his crab adventures - I even got a couple months later that had eluded capture - turns out there are very few species of hitch-hiker crabs that are "nice" for our reef tanks.

The posts about how to euthanise them were quite entertaining as well... :eek:

Beverly up north likes to "brick" them. :eek:

G1GY
01-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Andy

I'm not exactly sure what they are and that's the reason I don't want them there. :smile:

I also have 3 purple and red hitchhiker crabs that have small bodies and HUGE claws! They also have those fans in front and filter feed, so they can stay for now. (That and the fact that they're lightning fast!) :biggrin:

G1GY
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM

Andy

Gary has good pictures, so maybe he could fire them off to Ron Shimek at the "hitchhiker FAQ" to get an ID, and let us know what the response is :question:

Hey Bob,
I just went to that site and couldn't figure out how to send the pic's and ask the question. (Short attention span I guess.)

Are you registered at that forum? If so could you send the pic's and ask about it?

If you want some more pic's (Like the bottom of the shell), just let me know and I'll send them to you.

Thanks.

By the way, I've got one more of these little beggers to get and it's on my "to do list" for tonight.

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 12:45 AM
This is an xanhid crab and it looks pretty close to yours

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1284crab1-med.jpg

Bob I
01-02-2005, 01:25 AM
That is one evil eyed bastich, but could you resize the picture a bit :question: , it is way too big. :cool:

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Id love to resize is there a way to do it when posting it or do i have to do it by changeing the actul pic?

Aquattro
01-02-2005, 02:40 AM
By changing the actual pic.

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
alrighty its smaller now.

AndyL
01-02-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm so dissapointed... I'm not finding any of these hitch hiker crabs yet - Could probably trade em to someone who's keeping a mantis (Those mantis need food too y'know).

Personally, I figure I pay big $ to get LIVE rock - I want living creatures in/on it - until something is proven to be dangerous - it can stay (after that... Well I need to find someone keeping a mantis who needs food :mrgreen:)

Andy

AndyL
01-02-2005, 03:44 AM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabfaqs3.htm

G1GY
01-02-2005, 04:10 AM
This is an xanhid crab and it looks pretty close to yours

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1284crab1-med.jpg

That is indeed the pest Sean! Thanks for posting this! :biggrin:

Now tonight I try to ferret out the last one! I know where it lives!!! :lol:

Tarolisol
01-02-2005, 04:33 AM
HAHA good luck i hade one peice with so many i decided i would throw the rock in really cold fresh water for a while. By a while i mean over night :biggrin: I was so fet up with trying to get them out i got frustrated. But it worked, in the morning there were 3 crabs in the bucket.

G1GY
01-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Just elliminated the last one! :biggrin: :lol: :biggrin:

fishguyxd
01-05-2005, 02:30 AM
I have one that is very sim in size ,It a mover around the tank but no has found a good hidding spot I new so what's the best to feed him and lure him out so as to get an id on him

Murminator
01-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey Brad

I have one floating in my tank right now looks exact to whats in the pics RED EYES and everything. Took a little "coaxing" to come out, long story involved a hammer and chisel. I offered it to Tony (rodsboys) 1st since he took my last one. If he doesn't want it he's yours.

I sent you a PM

Snappy
01-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I have some too. Pretty small though, size of my thumb nail. Will that still eat my fish?