PDA

View Full Version : HeLP! AC150 problems

jezx
12-31-2004, 09:05 AM
hey all, my ac150's impeller i believe is vibrating and making loud noises. Does this indicate i need to change impeller??? or did i set it up improperly?? please help!!

Beverly
12-31-2004, 01:39 PM
How old is the AC 150? When was the last time you took the impeller out? When was the last time you cleaned the impeller and impeller chamber?

Rikko
01-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Rattling is very likely wear and tear inside.
First, do as Beverly said. Take it apart, give it a good cleaning with a small bottle brush/pipe cleaner. Then maybe even let it soak in white vinegar for a couple hours (The impeller and motor assembly). Still being annoying? Look at the magnet on the impeller... Does it have grooves worn in it? Time to replace it. Grab a pair of pliers and pull out the metal shaft. Does it look worn down in places? Time to replace that, too.
IMO they should always be replaced at the same time.. If memory serves, a 150 (now called the Aquaclear 30?) impeller at MSRP is like 8.99 and a shaft is 2.69. The shaft is really pennies by comparison.

(I'm also assuming that you aren't running it dry :D)

jezx
01-02-2005, 01:05 AM
thx for the help, rite now im soaking it in white vinegar. the impeller looks fine but the metal shaft i dont want to take it out because i'm not sure how to put it back?(juss stuff it back in??) and can you please advise me what MSRP is and where?? thx

Beverly
01-02-2005, 02:17 AM
I've never removed a shaft, but I do use q-tips to clean the chamber and around the shaft. Sometimes it takes a half dozen q-tips before the entire chamber is clean if I haven't cleaned it for a couple of months.

Rikko
01-02-2005, 05:31 PM
MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. It's what Hagen thinks stores should charge for something after they add what they think is a reasonable markup. Most stores I see charge MSRP or sometimes a little bit more.

If you yank the shaft you, you'll see a tiny hole in the bottom of the motor where it fits back in (be under a light since it's all black on black). When it's good to go back in, guide it into that hole, then push the shaft in really hard. I usually get it lined up first, then put the whole contraption on the counter and push on the bottom of the motor to get it seated.

jezx
01-05-2005, 06:17 AM
i tried the vinegar, clean the chamber, still sum sound, i will try to take the shaft out, thx for all the help