PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raised Bangaii Cardinals

canadawest
01-31-2002, 10:15 PM
Hey everyone,

The new brood of baby Bangaii Cardinals is just about ready for new homes, so I am getting a list together of people interested.

They are approximately 3 weeks old now, and will be ready for new homes at approximately 6 weeks, or as soon as they are eating frozen foods regularily.

Price is $20ea.

Please let me know now if you are for sure interested in taking one or more. Any not reserved by the end of next week will be taken by a LFS, where I guarantee you'll pay more than $20ea for them!

Please email me privately to confirm.

Delphinus
02-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Are you looking mainly for lower-mainland buyers, or would you consider out of town orders?

canadawest
02-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Hey Tony, unfortunately I am not equipped for or trust shipping these little guys. I would love to spread these little tank raised guys around more, but don't know how they would handle a journey overnight as they are quite small.

So at this point, it's local pickup only. Sorry about that.

Troy F
02-01-2002, 02:54 PM
How many did you get this time Andrew?

canadawest
02-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Troy, the final count this time is only 8.

I'm a little dissapointed with the seemingly high mortality rate but my understanding from reading other's experiences with tank raised fish suggests this is a normal experience in nature as well as captive breeding.

I really thought that I was going to see 12 of the original 20, as that is how many were left after the first few days. (survival of the fittest) The count remained at 12 for about a week, then one by one each morning the count would be one less.

I suspect that perhaps some of the larger aiptasia in the nursery tank may have caught some of the fry, so for the next brood I intend to have the aiptasia gone. I don't think any of the hermit crabs are viable predators.

So with the aiptasia gone for the next brood, we'll see if it was predators or mother nature at work reducing the numbers.

On a positive side, the remaining 8 are very healthy, active, and growing much faster than the first brood were. That's why I suspect these ones will be ready for new homes at 6 weeks rather than the 8 weeks for the first brood.

canadawest
02-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Well I can't believe it but:

Papa Bangaii is holding eggs AGAIN!! images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

So this is definitely the last week for people to get any from the existing brood of baby Bangaiis. So far 3 are reserved which leaves 5 remaining.

If you are interested please email me. Last opportunity to get some will be this Sunday, then the remaining ones go to a LFS to make room for the next brood.

Sushiman
02-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Howdy! How big are the little buggers & what are they eating right now? I'm very interested in @ least 1-2, I'm moving to another part of Maple Ridge on the 20th & I'll be moving my tank on the 21-22nd (Lord wish me luck!) After that I'll be good to go.

Let me know!
-Todd. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

canadawest
02-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Hey Todd, the little guys are a little less than 1" in length right now and are still feeding on live brine shrimp. I suspect they will start taking some frozen food in the coming week or two.

The latest I can hold the little guys for you is the weekend of Feb 23-24. After that weekend they all have to be gone to make room in the nursery for papa Bangaii and his new brood.

As of today there are 4 left unclaimed.

If you are serious I need a commitment in the next day or two as I have to make commitments to the LFS for the remaining numbers.

Sushiman
02-11-2002, 04:42 AM
Hey Andrew, they look great on your site! Put me down for two for sure. I'll email you with my contact info.

-Todd images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif