PDA

View Full Version : calcium at 345 ppm

reefnut
12-30-2004, 06:48 PM
well ive been using kents liquid reactor to try to get my calcium up around 440 but it just wont work.ive been following the directions on the bottle that say to add 5ml a day until you reach your target.According to the bottle one ml per gallon will add about 33 ppm of calcium.over the last week ive added the equivalent to 2 ml per gallon and no increase at all in calcium.but there is a thin white film now covering all my rock and sand.is this suppose to dissolve over the next few weeks and then my calcium will rise.

33 gal
60 watts t5 +55 watts pc
20 lbs lr
20 pounds crushed coral
3 cleaner shrimps
one green clown goby
one firefish
about 3 snail + 3 hermits
lees air driven skimmer
about 150 gallons flow
some macro

any ideas why my calcium wont rise.my alk is around 11.2 dkh and my ph is at 8.2.Amonia,nitrite and nitrate are almost undetectable.and my sg is sitting at .024.

Thanks in advance for any help.

monza
12-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Just a thought, I had a test kit that would not go above 320. Bought a new one and my CA was super high. Might want to try a new test kit.

Dave

reefnut
12-30-2004, 07:03 PM
well im using the aquarium systems sea test calcium test kit.anyone ever had problems with these tests.funny thing is is that my nutrafin test is telling me that im at 480 ppm for calcium.but i thought that the seatest was a better more accurate test?

Delphinus
12-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure how Aquarium Systems fit in the ratings spectrum but generally I've heard good things about Salifert, also but to a smaller degree Seachem. I used Seachem for many years until they changed their reagents and it became impossible to read (far too dim of a colour tint), so I switched to Salifert and have been very happy with those.

monza
12-30-2004, 07:27 PM
I use the Salfert (sp?) they are generally good, the first one was bad. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. I'd say your test kit with the higher results is correct. I tested my kit by testing water dripping right out of my CA reactor and it still read 320. You could make a super consentrated test with tank water and your additive. I bet it'll come out at what ever it was topping out at before.

Dave

martym
12-31-2004, 01:49 AM
Test your magnisium. I had the same trouble, only to find that there wasn't enough mag. in the water the help the calcium. It's all about balance.

danny zubot
12-31-2004, 02:26 PM
Reefnut said:.but there is a thin white film now covering all my rock and sand. That white film is a precipitate caused by the calcium additive, most likely too much CA+. I'm not an expert on the relationship between CA+ and magnesium etc but I would venture to say that they're out of balance. IMO, if you want to get eveything balanced do a large water change before your corals start to suffer.

Fish
12-31-2004, 03:52 PM
This doesn't answer your question about how to raise your calcium but, is there a problem with having a level of 345? (I really don't know)
I'd guess that 480 is higher than what would be found in nature. You didn't mention what corals you have or if you keep clams or heavy calcium consumers but I would suspect that a stable level is more important than a magic number. Just trying to save you some hassle and money - I might be totally wrong though :confused:

- Chad

Delphinus
12-31-2004, 04:04 PM
I agree with Chad. A stable value that's "not bad" is better for good growth than a "good" value that's a "peak value." Mind you 345 is probably a little low still, NSW is what, about 390? But if you can do a stable 390 with say 3.9meq/l (roughly 11-12 dKH) that would actually be "better" than say peak values of 450&4.5meq/l. Unfortunately with any kind of additive the trend is going to be more of a "sawtooth effect" (i.e., sudden rise when you add the stuff, then a steady decline as it gets used up). Whereas with a calcium reactor it is to be tuned to add it back at the same rate it is used up, thus giving steady unwavering levels. So unfortunately it's a hefty investment, but it's one of the best investments you can make for your tank if you have heavy consumers of Ca and Alk (which in fact is most things, even softeys make use of these).

props
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
where in surrey are you at? you could bring a sample of your water to my house and test it.. or i can lend you my test kit

EmilyB
12-31-2004, 08:24 PM
My Salifert kit says NSW is 400-425.

I've always wondered why people are below this level and unconcerned, whereas they are always wanting higher than normal Alk levels. :confused:

I've never been below 410 using Kent salt.

Delphinus
12-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Agreed Deb, it never makes sense to only look at only one of Ca or Alk; you HAVE to look at both numbers to make any sense of things.