PDA

View Full Version : Help with LED lights

Dash
11-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Not sure if anyone could help me but throwing this out there. I’ve been having issues with my SB Reef lights. Company is based in Florida and customer service has been absolutely brutal. Long story but after finally sending a stern email they now agree to me sending lights back for repair. However this means I will not have lights for about two weeks.

Any chance someone has LED lights for rental/ loan for that period?

Thanks

Aretes
11-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Shoot me a text at 604-836-6388, should have some spare kessils/SB reef lights for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dash
11-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Thanks Stephen. They also offered the option of sending replacement parts. I might do this despite not knowing much about lights because I sent a light back to them before and it was a nightmare.
I’ll keep you in mind though , very kind of you🙂

titus
11-24-2019, 03:09 AM
Hello

Do you know what replacement parts you actually need? This implies you or them have confirmed the actual fault.

Titus

Dash
11-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Hi Titus
I described the issues with the lights (along with photos etc) and they mentioned having “optics and LCD screens” in stock. I don’t really even know what that means. However sending a light back to Florida last year was a nightmare and it came back badly damaged in shipping. The last process took about 10 months, and this current process is a few months in already so I think I’d rather roll the dice with my husband replacing whatever parts they send.

cvrle1
11-24-2019, 05:22 PM
From what I read, SB Reef lights have gone under as of several months ago. You are fortunate to have heard anything back, let alone that they agreed to send you parts, or offer to repair fixture. Not sure which way I would go, as what if you send lights, and never get them back due to company shutting down. If parts that need to be replaced are relatively easy to do, I would probably just ask for parts and do it myself, or find someone that knows what they are doing locally to do for me.

Dash
11-25-2019, 05:07 AM
I know there are rumours of them going out of business, fuelled by their failure to answer emails, etc, and the phone number on their website is apparently out of service (they confirmed this). I searched out threads & phoned the number of a LFS they own (not associated with the light company) and spoke to his daughter. Yes I am a polite Canadian but I’m persistent. It took a couple of calls with her and emails after that but he finally responded.

Btw, a Canreefer just bought some lights so they are still selling.

It’s not ideal but I think the lesser of two evils is me getting the parts and trying to fix on my own.

Kinda sucks because these lights grow coral pretty good. I chose this company because their website pushes the fact that they are a US company, have a 2-year guarantee and when you pick up the phone someone speaking English answers. That would be great if only someone did answer!

titus
12-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Hello

Hi Titus
I described the issues with the lights (along with photos etc) and they mentioned having “optics and LCD screens” in stock. I don’t really even know what that means. However sending a light back to Florida last year was a nightmare and it came back badly damaged in shipping. The last process took about 10 months, and this current process is a few months in already so I think I’d rather roll the dice with my husband replacing whatever parts they send.

I guess they meant they have both the LEDs and the LCD screens. The LEDs are the ones that emit lights and the LCD screens are the displays where you see the statuses or messages. Probably better if you get the parts if they are going under and try to find someone to do it for you. I'm sure it's easy to find someone who understands electronics and can help esp if you live in the lower mainland.

Titus