PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Conch for sale.

Bob I
12-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Does anyone in Calgary need a fighting Conch :question: I got him at one inch, and he has grown to three inches. That is just too big for my tank. :sad:

AJ_77
12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Does anyone in Calgary need a fighting Conch :question: I got him at one inch, and he has grown to three inches. That is just too big for my tank. :sad:
I'm curious Bob, seeing as I've forgotten what the requirements are for these creatures - what do they seem to need as far as a filthy sandbed? Will a clean-ish one suffice?

Also, what is a pre-owned FC going for these days? :mrgreen:

Bob I
12-31-2004, 12:40 AM
I don't know what kind of sandbed it needs. Mine used to have a lot of brown algae. That is why it grew so quick. That algae is now gone because even the Bicolor Blenny eats it. As to price I have no idea. It cost me $20.00 because the shipping was only shared by two people. And since it has tripled in size it should worth three times as much, right :question: :razz: However, I still need Green Zoos. :eek:

vjvl51
01-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Here is what Dr. Ron says about the requirements of fighting conches - "Yes, they look like prime mature specimens of Strombus alatus, the Florida Fighting Conch. These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each. They may take algal wafers or nori as food, but by and large they graze on diatoms on/in the sand.

They will also need a sand bed about 4 to 6 inches deep, simply to bury into." from - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352087&

I HTH

Vickie

StirCrazy
01-03-2005, 03:29 PM
These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each.

They will also need a sand bed about 4 to 6 inches deep, simply to bury into." from - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352087&

I HTH

Vickie

I think that is for the queen isn't it. I think they recommend at least 2 sq feet of open sand bed for the fighting conch. anyways mine has been going almost 3 years in approximately that condition. they also do fine in 1" of sand. At least he was right on the diatom/micro algae eating part :rolleyes:

Steve

Bob I
01-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Here is what Dr. Ron says about the requirements of fighting conches - "Yes, they look like prime mature specimens of Strombus alatus, the Florida Fighting Conch. These guys need a lot of sand surface with algae on it, to graze on. Figure about 20 square feet each. They may take algal wafers or nori as food, but by and large they graze on diatoms on/in the sand.

I HTH

Vickie

I don't think we need to go into the requirements of Fighting Conches, or Queen Conches for that matter. My FC has grown a lot since I got it, and I feel that it would be better for someone with more room to take it off my hands. :eek:

danny zubot
01-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi Bob, I could use it. My tank has a large beach front for a 54 corner and about 2 inches of sandbed. Lots of algea diatoms right now too. You have PM.