PDA

View Full Version : I just beat Dinoflagellates!!!

Animal-Chin
11-12-2019, 07:45 PM
And in the end it cost me about $150!

So my newish tank (45 gallon) had it bad, thick snot covering everything. Zoas were looking rough, lost a fish I'm assuming due to the dinos. It was on every surface from the sand to the rock to the glass.

So at first I tried raising nutrients and manual removal. No way was I winning this battle. It came back stronger every day.

Here's what I did. I started using Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner. I used the recommended dose but instead of once a week I did it twice. First dose I noticed a small difference, second dose a bit more but It wasn't moving as fast as I liked.

On the 3rd dose I added a 24 watt UV sterilizer to my tank. Next morning they were cut in half easy, day after that 3/4s gone, 3rd day maybe 10% left on the 4th day, I added more vibrant and the next morning totally gone. Not one string of snot anywhere!

Vibrant+UV destroyed them! All Zoas are back open and loving life and my tank is crystal clear!!!

Skimmerking
11-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Well would a look at that.... well done for now,:mrgreen: but give it a few weeks nothing is ever beat in this hobby. unless you don't do this hobby that is the only way to beat it :razz:

bauder1986
11-12-2019, 09:47 PM
I swear by UV sterilizers when it's comes to bacterial algae blooms.

bauder1986
11-12-2019, 09:48 PM
The only downside is they will also kill off the good bacteria as well. So watch for mini cycles after using the UV lights

titus
11-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Hello

Good experience to share. Thanks for posting this.

Titus

chanda17
12-21-2019, 04:15 AM
I had out break and killed all my SPS and most Zoa. All fishes were gone including cardinal, foxface and lawn mower.

All I had left was a plate coral, chalice and a rainbow acan survived.

Since I had no fish left, no feeding and no water change reduced the amount of Dino. After 3 months, it was almost gone, but it come right back after a water change.

Then I dose the Dino X for 2 weeks and now it is completely gone. Whew