PDA

View Full Version : 75 Gal w 30 Gal Sump Reef(I told you guys Im back)

bauder1986
11-06-2019, 03:49 PM
First off....man has this forum died down in the last 6 years since I disappeared from the hobby! Checked out how things were going on the FB pages but those are severely limited in...well....everything. So, I suppose I'll do what I can to bring some more life back into the old forum.

Anyways, I decided it was time for my return!

I have been working away at this system and its process for the last 2 months now.

It all started with me acquiring a pretty beat up 50 Gal tank for free. I hummed and hawed as to what to put into the tank. Was originally going to fire up a fresh water tank just to put some of those semi retarded/boring fresh water fish in it to give me something to look at. But after much discussion with the wife she convinced me that it is time to stop talking about the days of reef tanks gone by and time to start building a reef tank again.

And that was where it started. One quick phone call to a friend of mine that has left the hobby due to time constraints and I suddenly acquired a bubble magnus skimmer, couple of AI Sols Super Blues, 2 Carbon Reactors, 30 Gal Sump, fans upon fans upon fans and 50lbs of rather dead LR!

Now everything needed a good vinegar scrubbing and servicing. That was the easy part....The rather dead LR on the other hand....well....lets just say that stuff spent 2.5 years outside in a rubbermaid container without a lid. So there was alot of brushing and rinsing and soaking involved just to get the dirt, pine needles, spiders, spider webs and everything else off.

After I was satisfied that I beat most of Canada's natural environment off of these rocks, I threw them all into a rubbermaid with a lid and fans and RO water to start cooking them. Took a month of just circulated RO water to pull most of the detrius out of the rocks. After that I was able to pick up some salt and start curing the rock with mixed RO water. Added a heater. And in about 2 weeks after that, I had a cycle going on. Ammonia was floating just under 1ppm and Nitrate at <5ppm.

So it was time to figure out the tank situation. I only had a tank and a sump but no stand. And the tank was not drilled. So that meant if I want a sump then I had to go overflow box style.

I managed to pick up alot of equipment from Buschwacker in Calgary from his tank shut down. Picked up a Eshopps Overflow Box, Reef Octopus DC pump, Apex Lite Controller with VDM and 2 power bars and probes and wireless bridge. Bucket of Salt, plumbing parts and pieces, refractometer, test kits and much much more.

So that visit solidified that I was going Overflow Box style. Now the stand....I figured that I could build one for about $240 to make it look real pretty just the way I like things. So to work I went. But while I was working I saw this ad on FB Marketplace(I love that place) for a 75 Gal tank in great condition and a stand for a mere fraction of what it would cost to build a stand! So being a bargain lover that I am...I bought it and brought it home.

And 24 hours after bringing it home....this is what we have.

https://i.imgur.com/qDAqohV.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/eUhVVPK.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/6YgsawS.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/1qqeTh2.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/2JaPMyq.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/kiGcThR.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/77wC7cc.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/cZqjLdf.jpg?2

cvrle1
11-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Welcome back. Unfortunately you are right, this place has died for sure, and it's a shame. Not sure what happened, as I was away as well, but it used to be live and always active.

I started one of these build threads as well few days ago, but as you said, dead forum :(

bauder1986
11-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Welcome back. Unfortunately you are right, this place has died for sure, and it's a shame. Not sure what happened, as I was away as well, but it used to be live and always active.

I started one of these build threads as well few days ago, but as you said, dead forum :(

Yeah I saw your build. Little impressive that you managed to pull off the Polish on that acrylic. Which makes me realize another thing. Maybe there's a lot of people online but we're just busy ghosting each other haha

cvrle1
11-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Yeah I saw your build. Little impressive that you managed to pull off the Polish on that acrylic. Which makes me realize another thing. Maybe there's a lot of people online but we're just busy ghosting each other haha

hahaha maybe. It is a possibility I guess. Not sure if the active user counter is correct on the main page, but it says there are 24 members online right now, and 340 guests. Guests could be anything really, so who knows if there are more members online, but no one is saying much. Either way, dont want to thread jack your build thread

bauder1986
11-06-2019, 04:23 PM
hahaha maybe. It is a possibility I guess. Not sure if the active user counter is correct on the main page, but it says there are 24 members online right now, and 340 guests. Guests could be anything really, so who knows if there are more members online, but no one is saying much. Either way, dont want to thread jack your build thread

Honestly don't sweat thread jacking on my build threads. Sounds like any type of commenting is it a good thing right now.

cvrle1
11-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Honestly don't sweat thread jacking on my build threads. Sounds like any type of commenting is it a good thing right now.

True as well I suppose. Lets see how things go. Hopefully canreef can be raised from the dead lol.

bauder1986
11-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Alright details time for those that like them.

75 Gallon Rimless with a 35 Gallon sump that has 3 sections. Drain/Temp probe and PH probe. Skimmer and GFO/Carbon Reactor in the middle with much more room for future developments. and lastly a return pump section.
Water goes from tank to sump via a ESHOPPS HOB overflow. I put an air hose to go from the overflow siphon tube to the sump pump to insure that the overflow will re-establish siphon in the event of a power failure. Also added a 8 inch long tube to the drain in the box to allow for quieter drain.

I decided to stick with 50lbs of LR for this build to allow for lots of swim and viewing space. There is no substrate ATM because I want to make sure that the LR is seated on the glass firmly and cycled prior to adding argonite.

The 2 AI sols are controlled via a Apex VDM module. Programmed to match the sunrise/sunset/Moon Phases times of whatever reef apex uses for that model. Also programmed a random storm here and there at night and random cloud cover through out the day. Mainly because I like having shiny things like that. Also programmed a high temp auto off for lights and in tank fans to help control high heat. Shouldn't be a worry really but I want to be careful.

Using a Bubble Magnus whateverthemodelnumberis for this setup. Definitely reminding me why I hate dialing in skimmers. The Octopus DC pump is running at a dialed down 1200ish GPH(Speed Setting 4) to the tank.

In tank I have 3 other fans. Fluvals I believe. None the less throw all the fans and the return together and I have ball park 5200 GPH of flow.

Im planning to go Softies and LPS and Clams for a reef. I love SPS but I don't feel like creating a nutrient free system. So I shall stick with the wiggly stuff. As for fish, we shall see what the tank needs. I know the wife will want many sorts of shiny fish for her to name and such. But I am going to keep it restricted to what the reef needs to create a nice symbiotic balance.

I will be seeding the tank with Aquavitro Seed Bacteria. Im in Red Deer so my options are limited. In the future Ill be creating a very simple dosing system to make sure everything is peachy.

The wiring is a mess but will clean up as time goes on. I'm just enjoying the fact that I have a glow in the house and can hear running water again.

Current Parameters that matter:

Temp: 77.5
PH: 8.32
Salinity: 1.026

target
11-07-2019, 01:42 AM
Looking good. I'm starting a 180g right now. Will do a build thread as soon as I get a bit farther into it. One word of caution that you might already know. With your return nozzle that low you could have a flood if your pump kicks off and it backsiphons.

bauder1986
11-07-2019, 02:56 AM
Looking good. I'm starting a 180g right now. Will do a build thread as soon as I get a bit farther into it. One word of caution that you might already know. With your return nozzle that low you could have a flood if your pump kicks off and it backsiphons.

Shiny! We need more build threads to breathe life into this forum!

Yeah I drilled a hole into the return just above water level to suck in air to break siphon. Tested repeatedly and proves true to work! Plus I decided an hour ago to switch the nozzle to just a 45 degree elbow to improve flow rate from the pump. DC pumps really don't like back pressure.

target
11-07-2019, 05:38 AM
Shiny! We need more build threads to breathe life into this forum!

Yeah I drilled a hole into the return just above water level to suck in air to break siphon. Tested repeatedly and proves true to work! Plus I decided an hour ago to switch the nozzle to just a 45 degree elbow to improve flow rate from the pump. DC pumps really don't like back pressure.

Nice. Yeah looking forward to having some aquatic life in my house again. Been over 4 years since I've had a tank running.

cvrle1
11-07-2019, 06:03 AM
I will point out the obvious, but one potential issue with back siphon holes is that they can get clogged. And if they do... Just make sure that sump will have enough room for all the potential water that would come down from DT, in case those holes do clog up. I read a story before where snail crawled onto one, plugged it up, and surely enough a bunch of water went all over the floor as sump was overflowing

bauder1986
11-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Nice. Yeah looking forward to having some aquatic life in my house again. Been over 4 years since I've had a tank running.

Yeah. I feel your loss haha. Can only get away for so long

I will point out the obvious, but one potential issue with back siphon holes is that they can get clogged. And if they do... Just make sure that sump will have enough room for all the potential water that would come down from DT, in case those holes do clog up. I read a story before where snail crawled onto one, plugged it up, and surely enough a bunch of water went all over the floor as sump was overflowing

Noted. I'm thinking about adding a small air hose onto the hole to help prevent clog up or maybe just stop being lazy and add a check valve to the return line. As for snails....can't predict those bastards and where they will go. I've had snails crawl out of the tank and motor around for a few minutes before going back to the water

cvrle1
11-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Noted. I'm thinking about adding a small air hose onto the hole to help prevent clog up or maybe just stop being lazy and add a check valve to the return line. As for snails....can't predict those bastards and where they will go. I've had snails crawl out of the tank and motor around for a few minutes before going back to the water

hahaha, snails are batshit crazy for sure. Idea with air hose, i actually like that, as I will need to think about that when I start planning my plumbing and all that fun shortly. As for the check valve, I was thinking about those as well, but read way too many stories of them failing as well. A lot of folks are saying dont even bother, as it is like playing Russian Roulette. Question is when will they fail, not if.

Just one thread of many: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-do-you-set-up-your-check-valve-plumbing.294815/

With that said, one thing I will try to do is what Marc Levenson (Melev's reef) did with it. he used reverse check valve to get air in the line to break the siphon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdURonoCyZM

bauder1986
11-07-2019, 04:25 PM
You know what. Screw it. Do it all. Check valve, reverse check valve, drilled hole, and make sure that the outlet is high enough that you do not flood your overflow. Proper way to be paranoid haha.

Well I did three of those things. I made sure that my overflow can handle a lot of water. And I've got the drilled hole. And lastly I change the nozzle into a 45 degree elbow that is only about an inch under water. It's actually handy that my overflow can't handle a lot of water back flowing into it. I only have maybe about 12 gallons in it and it's a 33-gallon sump. I would estimate that I get about 6 or 7 gallons flowing into the sump in the event of shutdown even if I plug the hole. Which is good because I need a bout 10 gallons of water in the sump to pump back into the tank to restart siphon on the hang on back overflow. And that's roughly what I get before the pump is sucking air into the tank.

cvrle1
11-07-2019, 07:25 PM
haha, better to be paranoid and have dry floors than the other way around.I still havent gotten to the plumbing part, so all info is good info to have once I get to it soon.

bauder1986
11-09-2019, 01:29 AM
This cycling process is reminding me how impatient I can get. Ammonia is dropping. Near 0 today. Still waiting on some algae growth so I can add a CUC

titus
11-09-2019, 03:46 AM
Hello

First off....man has this forum died down in the last 6 years since I disappeared from the hobby! Checked out how things were going on the FB pages but those are severely limited in...well....everything. So, I suppose I'll do what I can to bring some more life back into the old forum.

Anyways, I decided it was time for my return!
Welcome back! Can't wait to see when you start planting corals in it.

Will be good to see some photos of the plumbing on your actual setup.

Titus

bauder1986
11-09-2019, 03:55 AM
Hello

Welcome back! Can't wait to see when you start planting corals in it.

Will be good to see some photos of the plumbing on your actual setup.

Titus

Thanks Titus! Good to see you're running things still. Anyways I'll get those pics to you guys of the under tank business once I clean up the wiring a tich. Not my proudest work so far haha. I just wanted to see life breathed into the system

Skimmerking
11-09-2019, 07:54 PM
welcome back bro good to see you getting back into the hobby again I took a bit of a break from this hobby. wow its been 5 years for me Nov 2013 when I took my baby down. but after a hard 3 years with my mental health from over seas and my current retirement of the forces on Sept 11but its time to start up again. 10 footer and sorry bro for stealing your thread.

congrats again man and welcome back :wink:

bauder1986
11-09-2019, 07:56 PM
welcome back bro good to see you getting back into the hobby again I took a bit of a break from this hobby. wow its been 5 years for me Nov 2013 when I took my baby down. but after a hard 3 years with my mental health from over seas and my current retirement of the forces on Sept 11but its time to start up again. 10 footer and sorry bro for stealing your thread.

congrats again man and welcome back :wink:

Duuuude. 10 footer :mrgreen: that's a hell of a return to the hobby my friend. Glad you're in order to return! Especially coming back big!

target
11-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Go big or go home. 10 foot is my dream.

bauder1986
11-09-2019, 10:25 PM
Well cycle is moving along excellently. Spiked to max of 0.75 Ammonia. Now we are sitting between 0 and 0.25ppm. And starting to get some algae growth. So it was time to start adding CUC. Tossed in 6 Trochus. Will be slowly building that up as time goes on.

Plus I added substrate. Pics included. Plus people wanted to see some plumbing. Well here it is folks, welcome to my world of simple stupid.

https://i.imgur.com/zEqipM0.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/3tldHOZ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/lRh1Sh1.jpg?1

target
11-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Looking good. Always fun to start adding life. My pump is ready for pick up so I'll be able to really get things moving soon

bauder1986
11-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Looking good. Always fun to start adding life. My pump is ready for pick up so I'll be able to really get things moving soon

Oh the excitement. I love it when all the parts finally come together. Here's to your next sleepless night when you pick up the pump!

titus
11-10-2019, 12:40 AM
Hello

If that's a filter of some sort on the main drain pipe (right of skimmer) into the sump that's neat.

Titus

target
11-10-2019, 12:45 AM
Hello

If that's a filter of some sort on the main drain pipe (right of skimmer) into the sump that's neat.

Titus

Looks like a filter sock

bauder1986
11-10-2019, 12:45 AM
Hello

Titus

Yes sir. It's a 4" filter sock. They are nice to have. But a pain to clean. Need to have 2 handy because it takes two days to properly and safely clean and dry each one and it takes two to three days to get dirty

Reyphox
11-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Yes sir. It's a 4" filter sock. They are nice to have. But a pain to clean. Need to have 2 handy because it takes two days to properly and safely clean and dry each one and it takes two to three days to get dirty

I run filter socks as well. I keep about 5-6 handy. I find the washing machine works best and easiest way to clean. Prerise with hot water to flush out detergent. Then a couple caps fulls of bleach, use warm water and an extra rise cycle. Wait a day to dry and yer off to the races with set of clean socks!

bauder1986
11-10-2019, 06:54 AM
I run filter socks as well. I keep about 5-6 handy. I find the washing machine works best and easiest way to clean. Prerise with hot water to flush out detergent. Then a couple caps fulls of bleach, use warm water and an extra rise cycle. Wait a day to dry and yer off to the races with set of clean socks!

Yeah I use the dish washer. And no detergent. Bleach I'll use though. I'm afraid of my clothes washer eating them....it's an evil machine that eats things. Dishwasher on the other hand has been faithful to me.

bauder1986
11-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Not much to report except for the fact that all nutrient levels are nearly at 0. Managed to pick up a frog spawn for a pretty good deal. It acclimated pretty quickly. We'll get shots of it eventually. And by eventually I mean when I can dial my lights back up to at least 30%. It's got some getting used to when it comes to the lighting situation.

I did come across the fact that the flow rate in my tank is to strong for LPS and softies and zoanthids(5500 GPH on a 75 Gallon Tank is SPS worthy). So I removed the tunze and the 2 fluvals in favor of 2 small 350gph fans that are always on and one 1350 GPH fan that is on every minute for one minute intervals all thanks to the Apex Controller that I'm using. And I switched back to the spray nozzle for my return so I can have better flow direction control.

Still having a bitch of a time with tuning the skimmer though. I cleaned it before use. Made sure the needle wheel was good. The air line and intake is unrestricted and I have the skimmer at Bubble Magus recommended depth. So hopefully in a week or so the break in of the skimmer will actually happen.

DKoKoMan
11-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Worst comes to worst, make a small egg crate stand and elevate the skimmer in the sump. I had a bubble magus and I found I had to do this to have it perform.

bauder1986
11-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Worst comes to worst, make a small egg crate stand and elevate the skimmer in the sump. I had a bubble magus and I found I had to do this to have it perform.

I was debating that. I'll give it another few days then I'll break out the egg crate and zipties

titus
11-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Hello

Nice way to get some filtering for free from gravity.

Titus

bauder1986
11-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Hello

Nice way to get some filtering for free from gravity.

Titus

And it also keeps your sump clean and free of detrius which lowers sump pump maintenance and helps maintain your pumps a lot better since you don't have to take them apart all the time to clean out sand and whatnot and they also help with microbubbles from falling water into the sump.

bauder1986
11-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Not much to report. Other than this has been by far the best cycle I have had so far out of all 5 SW tanks I have had in the past!

Got some sea critters. 2 Chomis, 1 Occelerus, 1 Coral Beauty, 3 Common Crabs, Frogspawn, GSP, Blue Pom Pom Xenia.

Parameters are well with in tolerance.

Still want to shoot the skimmer. Now playing with the water level its submerged in to see if it can work.

Anyways, Pictures!

https://i.imgur.com/rXNpb3o.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/SMWWXNr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/SlGn0TR.jpg?1

bauder1986
11-17-2019, 04:22 AM
Well shit. The skimmer heard me swearing at it and decided its feelings were hurt. So the pump decided to show a brand new crack on the housing and let water on it and short out. Good thing the Apex Controller auto shut off the skimmer when it saw something weird with the electrical going on.

Anyways, decided that instead of paying $120ish bucks for a new pump for the Bubble Magus 3.5 NAC Ill just step in up one notch for the Bubble Magus Curve 5 for an extra $100 shipped. Thank you Reef Supplies Canada. Next week it will be here.

Now I just need to hope that this new skimmer will break in better and actually skim. Right now Im doing pretty good on bioload and its not a biggy to run without a skimmer but will need that new skimmer running strong with in the next two weeks for sure.

bauder1986
11-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Got bored today. SO I decided to test out different cameras. First six was with an underwater Canon Powershot. Linked a video to it as well.

And the last 4 was with a Canon EOS from outside the tank.

https://i.imgur.com/WGPRIzz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/915KKXO.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/eoLlj3W.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/KkZsZxL.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/lj6kGpk.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/d6xqbDi.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/K3XzP9r.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/3YxTIq0.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/5mH4Alh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/f0yRTjK.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/rn9a84C.jpg?1

Say the least. Im really liking the Underwater Camera.

target
11-20-2019, 10:47 PM
Looking good. Always good when you get to add life to the tank

bauder1986
11-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Yeah :biggrin:

It's starting it's long path to the image I have in my mind of mesmerizing display. Only thing holding me back is the $$$ hahaha

target
11-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Lol, yeah that's always the problem for me too. Right now I'm waiting on my glass for my sump baffles before I can continue

titus
11-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Hello

Looks like focusing outside the tank is difficult.

Titus

bauder1986
11-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Hello

Looks like focusing outside the tank is difficult.

Titus

Yeah. If I have any angle on the lens to image through the glass the image will distort. I suppose I could go Manual Focus but I'm not quite that good.

bauder1986
11-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Alright! The new skimmer came in! Bigger and better too! Bubble Magus Curve 5. I like that these new to me skimmers have a nipple on the air inlet to allow you to dose CO2 or O2 through your skimmer into your system. That's handy if I end up with a heavily loaded tank. And they are so freaking quite!

Anyways, all set up and running. Even in the break in period the skimmer already puts out a nicer foam compared to the last one. Which tells me that the last skimmer was just pooched to begin with.

And I still have room for the future refugium to go in after the skimmer and dual reactors and before the sump pump. Next week Im going to start buying a dish of Copeopods from Marine Life a week for a month and introducing them into the system. In a few weeks I can get the refuge up and running in the sump and then I can have nice things like a manderin goby.

https://i.imgur.com/rJSUWZr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/FslQAIe.jpg?1

bauder1986
11-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Got bored. Took pictures. Bought soe zoos

Now since it has been 6 years since I have had Zoos, I'll need help confirming their identity. I have had them before but just need a refresher. First three pics are the zoos in question.

Sorry for image quality. The wife left town with the good cameras so Im stuck with the phone camera on zoom

https://i.imgur.com/KIknVfE.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/g9WcvGZ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/GN263yi.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/d3ur828.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/pHQTM6h.jpg?1

bauder1986
11-24-2019, 02:03 AM
Oh yeah. I'm in the buying market for some Coral all local to Red Deer. willing to drive as far as Sylvan Lake or Lacombe or Innisfail. I just have to stay close to Red Deer for the next little bit. Anyways here's the thread with the details of what I am interested in.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1039633#post1039633

bauder1986
11-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Had an interesting micro bacteria bloom these past few days. Tank water was cloudy white and hard to see through. After a little bit of digging into it I came to the realization that the bacteria culture in the tank was having a huge bloom. So since I didn't have a UV sterilizer handy I changed out the filter socks 3 times daily and boosted my carbon in the sump 3 times fold. Bumped up the skimmer a tich. And within 24 hours the tank cleared up almost completely!

After the tank cleared up almost 100% I tested parameters again.

Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0.25-0.5ppm 2 hours after feeding
Nitrate - Near 0ppm
Phosphate - 0ppm (Thank you GFO reactor)

One thing for sure though is I think I want to get a UV sterilizer on hand to handle any micro bacterial (both algae and live culture) blooms. I have been noticing that alot of peoples tanks go through these blooms from time to time and whenever a UV sterilizer gets pulled out to be used the problem is solved within 24-48 hours of flicking on the power switch.

titus
12-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Hello

Glad the bloom die down. Considering how handy a sterilizer can be at times like this it's probably a good idea to stock one or have it as part of any new tank planning.

Titus

Luffy
12-02-2019, 12:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/5mH4Alh.jpg?1

Want to cut me a single head of this? Haha

Following along. Great looking tank, can't wait to see how this will turn out.

bauder1986
12-02-2019, 01:59 AM
Want to cut me a single head of this? Haha

Following along. Great looking tank, can't wait to see how this will turn out.

Let me grow it out for a few months first haha. It's got about 8 new heads starting to grow out. I'm excited to see its growth over the next while!

And thank you :biggrin: It's going to take awhile to stock it but I'm going to turn this tank into a garden of LPS and softies and Zoos and Palys

bauder1986
12-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Alright. So it was time to start my dosing regiment. Now after going over how I did things with past tanks I determined that that process cost to much. I dosed a lot of different things to avoid products like Coral Snow and Reef Roids. I didn't want to have 6 or 7 bottles of product lying around and I didn't want to incur another $100 a month in maintenance. So after poking around for a bit and talking to the LFS guys here in Red Deer I decided to go with the ATI 2 Part Complete Dosing System.

This stuff is kinda impressive. Majorly covers the main Calcium/Magnesium/Alk/Potassium requirements but also claims to cover another 21 elements on top of that. So after some reading and research I determined that I am going to try this route.

https://i.imgur.com/coswHmD.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/jumaEHT.jpg?1

So I am currently dosing at 3.5mL non diluted of each bottle each day starting today. According to the instructions, I am to monitor my Alk and Calcium everyday at the same time to determine if I need to raise or lower my dosing. So at day one my Alk is at 11.5 dKh and Calcium is at 500ppm. Dosed 3.5 ml of each part. So tomorrow we shall check again to see what I need to modify. Very interesting stuff.

If this product works out then it will drastically reduce my requirements for supplements and water changes. Plus at the max recommended dose for my tank at full stock it would take 4.5 months for me to drain these bottles. But I'm no where near that. Currently it will take me a year and half to drain them. Damn, that's cost effective at $90 for both of the bottles.

I do not believe that these will be the ultimate cure all for every requirement for the coral. Will still need to direct feed coral their favorites like mysis/phyto. And I might have to add specific trace elements to help certain corals along. But at least I will not need all the bottles I had in the past.

In the meantime, enjoy a pic of me playing with my camera and Xmas tree lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/0Jmm6F2.jpg?1

bauder1986
01-02-2020, 02:40 AM
Well update time for everyone. Tank is running smooth. Smoother than any tanks Ive had in the past. Parameters are all at near 0. Skimmer is running smoothly. Carbon and GFO reactors are doing their thing.

Added a frag or two of zoos and a nice frag of aussie green branching Duncans.

Also picked up a 4 point auto doser. Using that to Auto dose the ATI complete 2 stage and also for my water top ups. These dosers really make life nice and easy and lazy. Just need to figure out how to auto spot feed my coral at night...

Next thing to work on is add a Sand Dollar to keep the substrate in good order and a nice 6 line or 8 line wrasse to add more life to the tank. And then build a refuge in a reactor container.

bauder1986
01-21-2020, 01:12 AM
Well Couple of months in and I have to say that the tank is running fine as feck. Honestly its abit disconcerting how well this tank cycled and stabilized compared to previous systems of mine.

So like I said, I picked up an auto doser. Pump one and two on it are running 95ml per day of the 4:1 RO/ATI Essentials mix Part 1 and Part 2. That stuff is honestly the shit. Its a full water change in a bottle. I have only done one water change and it was a small 5% one to stabilize my salinity that slowly dropped due to minor salt creep and dumping the skimmer over a few months. Pump 3 is just for topping up my water. Honestly, Im that lazy. And since Im home everyday I can decide to keep the hose in the RO water for the tank or just pull it out before the next programmed dose time of RO water. Once I get more funds Ill change that into an actual ATO. But for now Im okay with this.

Sump Needs cleaning....Thats for another day.

https://i.imgur.com/vv5rMAO.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/dR14ZBo.jpg?1

Also added some more livestock

Yellow Tang. Healthy and Hungry lil Bastard. And pretty curious too.
https://i.imgur.com/0zJgrzy.jpg?1

A Neon Dottyback. I really enjoy watching this guy. He is a hell of a swimmer.
https://i.imgur.com/trtqaxt.jpg?1

A sand sifting star fish. Curious little creature these are. But it does the job keeping the substrate from turning in a rock of its own.
https://i.imgur.com/g6szn2H.jpg?1

A small Lobo Brain. Loves its nightly feeding of cyclopods. I hope its colors improve with time.
https://i.imgur.com/D2D7vwM.jpg?1

Neon Green Aussie Branching Duncans. God damn these things grow fast!
https://i.imgur.com/ry2Xieu.jpg?1

A Blue Gonipora. Just starting to reach out.
https://i.imgur.com/SE0brPo.jpg?1

A Green Gonipora. Happy as can be.
https://i.imgur.com/0CWdLpv.jpg?1

Pretty certain this is some kind of Rhodactus Mushroom. Big Guy once it stretches out. Bright too.
https://i.imgur.com/EwsYvFO.jpg?1

Chaos Palys!!!!!! So So So Bright! And they grow soo fast!
https://i.imgur.com/HBAgqch.jpg?1

Mystery Palys. The skirts on these were brown when I got them. But are now starting to turn a nice Red.
https://i.imgur.com/jkbNJWg.jpg?1

And then there's everything else in the tank thats from before. All doing good.

https://i.imgur.com/hdfKm1G.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/REXTNWR.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/areTsde.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/v7AfQlm.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/wxPiuRW.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/q8loGcq.jpg?1

And last but not least. FTS

https://i.imgur.com/XqbARCq.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/7NSOHYe.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/uypgAOO.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/0T9hXCI.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/4hmPIwb.jpg?1

bauder1986
02-06-2020, 04:36 PM
I don't know of anybody else uses the ATI Reef essentials 2-part kit. But if you do I recommend you watch your salinity on a weekly to bi-weekly basis depending on the size of your system. I guess one of those parts has sodium in it which does actually increase your salinity.

I just had to spend some time dropping my salinity from 1.028 down to more acceptable parameters.

bauder1986
02-11-2020, 03:24 AM
Got bored, here's me progress(or there lack of) with getting the right camera shot.

https://i.imgur.com/PlXfO5M.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ckrcdHG.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/a2BVQmk.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/mdt6QL0.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/EDwJ27N.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/j2jIFrQ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ehdJtB9.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ORgD2uT.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/Ctt31dt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/TqJMfeZ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/gfiFkC9.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/KPWVgbg.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/cAXkSPy.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/vpqUHdD.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/3KIl1wC.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/QdFq5Wr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/htqjn1X.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/BSWGuFe.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/QE25nSk.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/k3qDrJU.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/zwVguz6.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/1u1XAQI.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/NFjIElL.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/6Sasb1t.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/9bg25Hr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/LaxsBbs.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ByxJRiY.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/HLl5op9.jpg?1

bauder1986
02-18-2020, 05:12 PM
Well, since this is basically just me rambling off, then I shall continue!

Went shopping

Chucky's Bride (At least I think they are)
https://i.imgur.com/wuN06hu.jpg?1

Incinerators
https://i.imgur.com/zQnFWHH.jpg?1

Blue Constellations
https://i.imgur.com/5T4TsQd.jpg?1

Pink Hippos
https://i.imgur.com/ANfVxre.jpg?1

Purple Tip Octospawn
https://i.imgur.com/Yy0zXbJ.jpg?1

Planet Earth Gladis
https://i.imgur.com/8CFfM98.jpg?1

Green Flowerpot(****ed off from just being moved)
https://i.imgur.com/RcTS65S.jpg?1

Red Flowerpot (****ed off from being moved)
https://i.imgur.com/xGw51Kc.jpg?1

Nuclear Green Paly
https://i.imgur.com/0WGx8Ea.jpg?1

Candy Apple Red
https://i.imgur.com/0uxPFpz.jpg?1

Rainbow Cloves
https://i.imgur.com/P3CFhSt.jpg?1

Tank Shots
https://i.imgur.com/t0XHw1X.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/7nE3lPt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/08vEYHE.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/rjXvJmg.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/TP5iX7Y.jpg?1

titus
02-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Hello

Lots of goodies. I see lots of opportunities for POTM. :mrgreen:

Titus

Dash
02-25-2020, 03:10 PM
I’m impressed with your photo of rainbow cloves. I can never capture the colour of mine on camera - they always look blah:confused:

bauder1986
02-25-2020, 03:15 PM
Hello

Lots of goodies. I see lots of opportunities for POTM. :mrgreen:

Titus

Yeah, I'll try for sure haha. Still alot of other more mature systems out there though

I’m impressed with your photo of rainbow cloves. I can never capture the colour of mine on camera - they always look blah:confused:

Thank you!

Well. I used an underwater camera on underwater mode with the light filtering set as close to 10K as possible. So far that's the best I could do without buying the clip on light filter for camera's and I took the photo when my lights achieved max setting for the day.

Hope that helps.

mseepman
02-25-2020, 04:47 PM
Tank is looking good! I find photos to be really tough. We have become so used to our phone having a good camera and they just take horrible pics of the tank.

bauder1986
02-26-2020, 04:28 AM
Tank is looking good! I find photos to be really tough. We have become so used to our phone having a good camera and they just take horrible pics of the tank.

Thank you :)

Yeah. You need a really good phone to do a decent job. There's this one guy at the LFS here in Red Deer who has a phone that's capable of 10000K white balance in pro mode. Plus he clips on a lense onto his phone that further filters out the blue light making some pretty decent pictures.

But nothing compares to a good camera with a macro lense and light filter.

bauder1986
05-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Well its been ages since I posted an update. Its been an extremely busy few months for the wife and I. Being that both of us got accepted into school in Edmonton and moved up to Edmonton this last month.

Anyways, the tank came with me. And with minimal losses. A flowerpot and a small zoa frag bit the dust. Other than that I gained far more being in Edmonton this last few weeks. Sold the Lunar Wrasse as he did his job and it was time for him to move along. Bought snails and crabs and shrimp and a baby ocellaris to join up with my current one. And bought a tonne of frags. a couple of Zoas, gonioporas, birdsnest, euphylia for days, acans(which got attacked by one of my shrimp and is currently on the mend), somekind of encrusting polyp which I forgot the name too and much more.

Also its easier to acquire Vibrant in this city. Needed it to help with a battle with Cyano. So far im on week three and the Cyano is starting to slow down its growth rate. Im leaving the lights off tactic to a last resort. Lets give Vibrant a shot.

Also did a few changes to the sump. Ran out of GFO and decided that instead of buying more and only pulling out phosphates, I would spend the money on building a ghetto Refugium and pull out nitrates and phosphates equally with Chaeto. Better stability in the tank in the long run. Especially with a battle with Cyano. Plus I added copepods to the tank. Hoping that one day Ill be able to have a manderin fish in the system.

Bought a new heater with better temp control. Temp only swings 0.4 degrees throughout the day.

Lowered how much ATI Essentials is dosed to accommodate the slight increase in Alk and Ph. On day three of monitoring the Alk and Ph. It appears to be slowly declining. Thats good.

Anyways, time for a nap so Ill wrap this up with pictures.

Sump with the ghetto fuge and the lights on 12 hour cycle. Still running skimmer and reactor with carbon in it.
https://i.imgur.com/EvbzUX5.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ZV2ZX5H.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/pinvZV9.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/YKN2vlN.jpg?1

And the tank. Rock work is onto the oneside Since you can only see that side if youre in the kitchen snacking....honestly I spend most of my time on the other two sides of the tank so that is why its aquascapped this way

https://i.imgur.com/oQdvQgT.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/M8l6RSh.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/8YEXe2J.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/tCWmQlk.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/jAzsAb4.jpg?1

LifeIsGreat
05-17-2020, 09:59 PM
What's the grain size in your sand bed? According to this experiment (https://reefs.com/magazine/an-experimental-comparison-of-sandbed-and-plenum-based-systems-part-2-live-animal-experiments/) fine sand, 0.2mm and less, is said to reduce phosphate somewhat. Maybe something to add to the fuge? I wouldn't worry about the cyano too much if it is only on the sand, its just cleaning the water for you and will go away on its own. I had a terrible mess of the stuff in my tank for about a month, but it is mostly gone now with no chemicals needed. It was so thick I was able to pull sheets of it out - a good nutrient export. But, seeing as you have a bunch of corals in there that risk smothering you might not have that option if it starts working its way up the rocks.

bauder1986
05-17-2020, 10:15 PM
What's the grain size in your sand bed? According to this experiment (https://reefs.com/magazine/an-experimental-comparison-of-sandbed-and-plenum-based-systems-part-2-live-animal-experiments/) fine sand, 0.2mm and less, is said to reduce phosphate somewhat. Maybe something to add to the fuge?

Well it's definitely around 0.2. It's pool filter sand(silicate based) and yes. Fully rinsed for those that are concerned for the silicates leeching into the water and feeding diatoms.

Anyways, phosphate hasn't been my issue. Always been near zero. My issue is establishing the balance between phosphate and nitrates. I have been coming up to many studies stating that it's not necessarily the need of having zero nitrates and phosphates. But having a balance between the two components that allows for stability in the system.

Having just gfo caused an imbalance. So I'm going for the refugium method to tackle both at the same time.

bauder1986
05-17-2020, 10:33 PM
As for the cyano. It does try to smother the corals. I'm watching it closely to clean it away from the rocks. And sometimes I have to help the Nessarius snails stir up the sand abit and clean it off. But I do want to help pulling the cyano out. It competes with the healthy bacteria for nutrients. Plus it looks ugly.

I do want to add more sand to the fuge though. I have about a cup in there. More would be a good idea