PDA

View Full Version : Sump Drilled?

Nemain
12-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Anyone know where I can get my sump drilled ? I need it done rather quickly, as.. it is in use and I will have to shut down my tank while it is being done o_O

Thanks,

Beth

mr_alberta
12-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Do you have a drill Beth? I have the bits...well, depending on size anyway but I left my drill at my parents place over the holidays. How large is the tank? How thick is the glass?

Richer
12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Is it for an additional pump? I've seen people use U-tube type of setups with their pumps rather than drilling their sumps and it works just as well. Using U-tubes would keep your setup more flexible as well in case you ever want to move things around.

-Rich

Nemain
12-29-2004, 05:26 PM
I can get a drill, and the pump is for my skimmer, not sure if a U-tube woudl suffice? If it would, I would much rather go that way.

No idea on the thickness of the glass o_O

Dez
12-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Beth.... you can use a u tube. I've done that on all of my systems and love it. just make sure you have a union or a t with an airline fitting so that you can prime the pump. I wish that I could draw on computer to illustrate.. You can come over sometime and check out my set up or I'll try to get a picture of my set up sometime.

des

Richer
12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
I've tried drawing it the best I could according to memory.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroopt/Aquarium/Utube.jpg

Undo the union, fill up the tube with water, redo the union, and your pump is primed and ready to go.

-Rich

mr_alberta
12-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Just make sure your pump sits lower than the water level in your sump or you will need a PVC tee on the union (instead of the 90* like on the drawing) to prime the pump.

Oops, just read Rich's entire post. You could undo the union each time too. That would work and does the same thing as the Tee.

Nemain
12-30-2004, 05:41 AM
Awesome, thanks a lot guys =) Another trip to home depot I guess, I think I am becoming a regular o_O

SOOOO happy I don't have to drill anything =)

Beth

Nemain
01-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Could someone list me the components I will need? Hopefully I can figure this out and get it hooked up soon =)

Thanks,

Beth

PS: Skimmer looks wicked

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Its really easy to make this Beth. You will need:

PVC pipe (whatever diameter)
2 PVC elbows (same diameter as pipe)
1 PVC T (same diameter as pipe)
1 PVC Cap (same diameter as pipe)
PVC reducer bushing or coupling to connect PVC to pump

Dez
01-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Its really easy to make this Beth. You will need:

PVC pipe (whatever diameter)
2 PVC elbows (same diameter as pipe)
1 PVC T (same diameter as pipe)
1 PVC Cap (same diameter as pipe)
PVC reducer bushing or coupling to connect PVC to pump

This won't work Harvey, the whole thing has to be completely sealed and if you just have a pvc cap then you'll probably draw micro bubbles. from the "t" you'll have to have a fitting that can be fitted to the smallest possible valve (ie r/o valve) or just have a union like Richer's diagram. If you glue a pvc cap on then you'll never be able to prime it again with ease. Hope this makes sense.

Des

mr_alberta
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Will microbubbles really matter if this pump is for her skimmer though?