PDA

View Full Version : Acreage Water

Beverly
12-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Was talking to friends the other day who want to build a new house on a small acreage. The guy was interested in setting up a marine aquarium, but really doesn't know the first thing about the hobby judging by his statement about how all my corals are still alive :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't most acreages have well water which isn't suitable for SW use even with an RO/DI unit unless the filters are changed frequently? Would like to give this guy as much information on water basics before he gets too far into the project. TIA.

Skimmerking
12-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi there Bev Doug has well water and has been having no problems with his tank , he has a ro unit still hooked up and a water softener too. maybe contact him . i dont know if he has the softener hooked up to the tank either..

mike

Beverly
12-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Michael :biggrin: Do you know what Doug's on-line name so I can contact him?

mr_alberta
12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I think he is referring to Flat_Lander. Or click under "moderators" on the left.

It probably all depends on the water source. Most acreages are on well water I presume? If so, the quality of water can vary from well to well.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Your friend should probably send a sample of his well water to get it scientifically analyzed. It will cost him some $ upfront but it will be better than rolling the dice & hoping the water will work for his fish/corals. When I lived in Powell River, for example, some of the well water had traces of arsenic in it. JMO :biggrin:

Anthony

Beverly
12-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll pass along the water testing idea to my friends.

Doug
12-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Bev;
I use well water. I had most of the usual tests done, but not for nitrate or phosphate. They were a couple hundred dollars.

I have and still do at times, use straight well water for my tank, after running through a large main line filter. I also use ro water. The ro unit also feeds my upstairs fridge ice/water maker and a spigot at the sink.

However your correct on hard, cold well water being hard on ro membranes. Actually a better job for a unit like the Kold Sterile unit. The secret is to pass the well water through the water sofener first. This makes it much more easy for the ro unit to handle not to mention the ro removing the softening salts before it goes to the fridge and sink.

So, my water first goes through a main line 30m filter, then the softener, then a 5-stage Vectapure ro unit.

Quinn
12-30-2004, 12:19 AM
As noted, I think most people test their water before doing anything with it, if they have their own well... my parents (where my tank was) don't even drink their water... I used an RO system for my tank (no DI though).