PDA

View Full Version : clam only tank

mrcopitr
12-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi reefers,

I'm currently thinking of setting a clam only tank and I need all the input I can get.
Should I set it up to my excisting 92 gal reef, or set it up on it's own. If I set it up both together, that way I would not need to buy another skimmer, top off, heaters etc....

Also how deep of a tank should I get, I'll be running MH lights with VHO actinic. I was thinking a 30 gal not too deep.

What type of sand bed should I use...how deep...rubble or fine sand or a mix....

Also if I run this tank of my current reef, will the initial cycling on the clam tank affect the current reef tank...

And how long before I can introduce the clams...I already have a few of the lower light type clam in my reef...but I want the more colorful crocea and maximas....and dont have the space left.....and only PC lights in my current reef.

Hoping to hear your comments soon,

tanks...Marco

Rikko
12-28-2004, 05:35 PM
The shallower the better, obviously, considered how light greedy tridacnids are. 30 isn't bad - personally I think if you went ultra shallow like a 15 gallon it would start to look goofy, so you're probably on the right track there.

I've read several accounts of people plumbing their clam tanks into their main systems, which benefits both. The clams now have a good food source in all of the dissolved wastes in the system, and the system itself is kept cleaner as a result. The only obvious downfall can be if "something happens" and the system crashes.

If you just plumb it in to your main system, there's no cycle to speak of. Any dissolves wastes in the water get flushes out while bacteria are growing in there, so there aren't any problems (analogous to doing a 100% water change twice a day - essentially you bypass the cycle).

As for how long.. I would probably leave it up and running for a week or two just so you can observe flow patterns/lighting and make sure it's all cozy and stable.. If that's set, your clam tank is essentially just your main display anyways, so let the system as a whole be your guide.

Skimmerking
12-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Remember clams like to have Nitrates in the water helps them out and it should be around 10ppm. Check with Jayson at Saltwater connection he was telling me about that.

Mike

mrcopitr
12-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi guys,

What would you recommend for MH on a 30 gal...10,14 or 20k and what wattage...

Also should I have live rock in there...and what about sand bed..how deep, what type of sand???

Thanks for the help....

Marco

Rikko
12-29-2004, 03:05 AM
IMO live rock in a tank plumbed into your main system is entirely optional. It might be beneficial, however, in case one of the clams decides it likes partial shade or whatnot.
For MH spectrum, I don't have much of an opinion, but I tend to like higher ratings. The higher you go, the easier you can forego actinic supplementation and not have it look hideous with halides only.
For a standard 30, I would probably still use at least a 250W bulb. Others with more experience may have other opinions.

Sand bed, fine grain aragonite. Sugar fine probably works well, too, but I'd be concerned that any disruption would kick a little bit up and it could get all over the clams and be an irritant. Depth? A couple inches, maybe. Any more and it becomes more work to maintain.