Skimmerking
12-26-2004, 09:06 PM
well i'm thinking for humidity reasons run the sump in the basement

or under the tank in the stand.

advice please.

mike :question:

mark
12-26-2004, 09:17 PM
My basement is much cooler in the summer, have more room, wouldn't need to pack water through out the house and quieter since pumps not in living room, I'm hoping for the move downstairs.

StirCrazy
12-26-2004, 09:21 PM
depending on what would be more convenient for you, that is what I pick. If below the tank you have a place in the basement that has water, drain ect.. then basement it is. If you don't but you have that stuff close upstairs then upstairs it is.

Steve

Chin_Lee
12-26-2004, 09:59 PM
I put mine in the basement for the following reasons:
1) no pump noise in your immediate living area
2) flooding is isolate to basement. if drain is nearby, bonus. if not, its still "only" the basement
3) you can buy pumps by performance and not so much by noise factor
4) basement is cooler in summer and winter, chilling is still required but not as much
5) you don't have to buy or build to "fit" in your cabinet. You can buy BIG and BIGGER and the BIGGEST of whatever you want.
6) i don't need to hide my calcium reactor, the 20lb CO2 tank, my skimmer nor my skimmer pumps. Changing or cleaning any of the above noted items is so much easier not having to worry about breaking this or that because of confined space
7) RO filter and water containers are all in the basement for mixing new batches of saltwater for water changes or for storage of top up water.

Two drawbacks i've experienced:
1) more return piping required. I used flexible spa hose and was a litte costly to buy that much (i needed 50' of 1.5" and 25' of 1")
2) return pump gph at the respective head height needs to be considered

One minor drawback that can be fixed is having to run downstairs to turn off return pump. But I'm looking to remedy this by pulling an extension cord through so the return pump is actually powered by an outlet upstairs so if I need to turn it off from upstairs, i unplug the extension cord; if i need to turn it off downstairs, i just unplug the pump from the extension cord.

thats my experience so far, HTH.

BMW Rider
12-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Umm, er, well both I guess. My sump is in my stand which is in my basement. Kind of limits my options for location. I would probably still have a in stand sump anyway just to keep everything in one spot, seems easier to check everything in the same place. I would like to have been able to do an in-wall style tank with a tank room for all the equipment though. My basement plan just didn't work out to allow that.

snaggle
12-26-2004, 11:32 PM
when I build my house in like 20 years :lol: I have made the plans so that I have two large tanks in an opened basment with a room along one wall for all my utilitys and fish stuff. I think I will do 4 systems goldfish, reef, ciclid and amazon. that way I can do all my favoret fish and have all my water changes in one spot :mrgreen: . but I do have to ask my fiance first :eek: . so plans might change.

Brad

Dez
12-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Definitely basement....we had a moisture issue and heat issue and everything got alleviated. I run over a just about a 1000 watts of lighing on my 46 gallon and I have over 200 gallons water volume....

Des

Skimmerking
12-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Well i went with the sump in the basement ,just got sone making the stand out of 2x6 :eek: i screwed a piece of 2x6 to the wall and built a box for the stand out of 26 and used legs of 2x4's

The base on top is 3/4" plywood :mrgreen: Gotta love extra wood lying around from previous tanks and stands.

any way its 39" long 24" wide and 41 " high so the kiddies can't put stuff in the sump i will be running a 3md for the return @3/4" or i might go 1/2 out but the over flow will be 1.5" to the sump i will probably use a 55 gal tub it will be easier if the power goes off. :confused:

Mike