PDA

View Full Version : Float Switch

mrcopitr
12-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Reefers,

I'm currently looking to find a device (float switch of sort) that I could install in my main tank, which would turn off my main pump in case the outside overflow box(CPR) should ever fail, thus preventing the sump water being returned in the tank.

Hope someone can suggest some type of product to achieve this...

thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone...

Marco

Skimmerking
12-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Well if you are having a sump All you need to do is test the smp with the water turn off. Aftersee where you would like to have the water stop in the sump mark it and short the return line going into the main tank. HTH

The longer the return pipe in the tank the more water that will back flow in after the main pump is off. Unless you drill a 1/4" hole in tothe pvc pipe atthe water line to back draw to let air in and break the water coming back down..

Skimmerking
12-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Marco where so you live in N.B i used to live in Geary my father used to be in the army there in C.F.B Gagetown. Went to school in Oromocto Hight school.

mike

Skimmerking
12-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Sorry double post

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

chrisd
12-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Mike....I used to live in gagetown until about 3 yrs ago.....did 8 years with 2rcr. Are you in the army?

Skimmerking
12-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Oh ya cool I'm in the Artillery in /shilo Mb ,and was posted to Gagetown at
W bty went for hockey with the warriors team too. Was posted there in 2001 and left in 2002 due to my son;s health. live in burton 416 river road..

pretty cool what are you doing in AB

mike

Skimmerking
12-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Sorry there Marco i just clicked in to the question, You have a oerflow boz on your tank andyou wish to to stop breaking a flow when the water is off.

ok do you have a air line attached to the overflow box that has a pre set on it to start up the water flow again.....

I hope this makes sense.

mike

mrcopitr
12-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes there is an airline attached to rio venturi pump to restart the syphon should power go off, but I like to extra cautious should the small rio venturi should fail to restart once the power comes back on.....thus the idea of some kind of float switch in the main tank...but I'm not sure on the type of float switch or where to find one that would work....

thanks

Marco

AndyL
12-26-2004, 05:53 PM
well aquaria.ca (good old ivan) has float switches; can't remember where they're listed in his drygoods section - but individually they're like 10$ each.

PLEASE do not run 120v through those switches tho; A simple transformer, and relay could save you a very ENLIGHTENING experience. :crazyeye: There are some simple plans/drawings on reefcentral showing just what parts you need and how to do this.

Andy

mrcopitr
12-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks Andy,

I did find the float switch at aquaria.ca, would you by any chance have the link for the plans/drawings showing what parts I need and how to do this.

Thanks again for your help...Marco

AndyL
12-26-2004, 06:58 PM
search for float switch relay and you should come up with a few hundred options...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458797&highlight=diagram+float+switch+relay

Andy

Skimmerking
12-26-2004, 08:19 PM
drill the tank and solve all your flooding problems, THE best advice i can give ya .

mike

mrcopitr
12-26-2004, 08:24 PM
I would, but I dont want to take the tank apart...

I wish I had done it when first installed, but no local shop wanted to do it...

Thanks.....Marco

Skimmerking
12-26-2004, 08:55 PM
What size is th tank is it amd yes you can still drill the tank together. i would check into it put the corals in a rubber maid tub along with heaters and PH's and you would be good for while. it can be done by the way..

mike

Call me we can talk 1-204-728-0342. mike

i can call you back its free for me

mrcopitr
12-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi Mike,

Thank you very mutch for your help. I will give you a call as soon as I get back from my vacation.....probably be back in Shediac by Wednesday of this week.

I really appreciate your help

Best regards

Marco