PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on black sand

mmatt
04-14-2019, 06:03 PM
I know it's not for everyone but I'd love to go with it in my new set up. If it makes sense. My only concern is that I've heard of issues with spikes. Any first hand experience with black sand? Positive or negative.

Thanks

Skimmer Juice
04-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Personally wold skip it Im not sure if it still contains metal particles . Have heard it does so I always take the risk out and not roll the dice . Although I have used it for a set up early in my reefing journey , before knowing it had or could have metal in the sand . Noticed no deaths while using it had a mantis shrimp in the aquarium , for about 6 months until I moved the shrimp to a larger aquarium . As for now I skipped it when thinking of doing my blue spot jawfish sandbed in black, just to remove that anything that might or could happen risk out for my beloved fish friends :biggrin:

albert_dao
04-14-2019, 08:24 PM
It has a ton of magnetic particles, so if you use a magnet cleaner, it's a real hassle.

mmatt
04-14-2019, 10:03 PM
It has a ton of magnetic particles, so if you use a magnet cleaner, it's a real hassle.

Really? That def sounds like a pain. Well def don't want to introduce that stuff into my system. Thanks guys

e46er
04-14-2019, 10:11 PM
My current 180 and last 250 both had black sand.
Not magnetic at all.
I much prefer the look over white sand.

mmatt
04-14-2019, 11:06 PM
My current 180 and last 250 both had black sand.
Not magnetic at all.
I much prefer the look over white sand.

I like the look for sure but this video has def pushed me away from it.

Caribsea Tahitian Moon Sand - Toxic Heavy Metals
https://youtu.be/tiU9qsxPhe4

e46er
04-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Wow.

I used I think it was called Hawaiian black?? It was a while ago but it’s not metallic

mmatt
04-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Wow.

I used I think it was called Hawaiian black?? It was a while ago but it’s not metallic

I'm.sure that's the one. Maybe they changed it recently. Put additives in it. Either way I think I will steer clear just to be on the safe side

Dearth
04-15-2019, 02:50 PM
If I had to redo my tank I would love to go the black sand route mostly because it looks pleasing to the eye and it’s something different

mmatt
04-15-2019, 02:55 PM
If I had to redo my tank I would love to go the black sand route mostly because it looks pleasing to the eye and it’s something different

I agree but just seems like to much of a risk to do so.

e46er
04-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Check on google.
There’s lots and lots of tanks with black sand. I wouldn’t let 1 video of 1 type of sand scare you away.

Galizio
04-16-2019, 03:38 AM
That black sand you posted is for freshwater aquariums, you wanna look into caribsea Hawaiian black like mention above... not sure if that one contain any metal but for sure have no silica in it... I