PDA

View Full Version : Non agressive hermit crabs

1bigstud
04-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Does anyone know of any non agressive hermit crabs?
I have alot of mini star fish and snails in my tank, last time i had electric blue legged hermits they decimated all of them, however wouldn't mind something to help clean the rock, and help with a bit of cyno.

Rick

Dearth
04-11-2019, 01:44 PM
All hermit crabs are opportunist eaters and while most are classified as “reef” safe and generally are well behaved they will if given the chance go after easy meals even if they are well fed.

As far as your cyano nothing will touch it as it is a bacteria and not an algae so fish and inverts don’t touch cyano

gregzz4
04-17-2019, 06:40 AM
Hey Rick,
I agree with Dearth as to your battle with cyano. You'll need to manually remove it/siphon it out.
As for hermits, I have always had good success with red scarlets.
For me, they are rock/sand cleaners but leave everything else alone.
Although they are bigger than some, they are great for a reef.
I've had issues with blue legs and left hands killing each other and snails, but not these guys.

1bigstud
04-17-2019, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
My skimmer is back on, and I'm running carbon, plus some manual intervention by yours truly.

Ive read great things about scarlet hermits. Anyone know if any of the lfs in the Vancouver area have any?

Dash
04-17-2019, 03:30 PM
I like the scarlet hermits too. They’re the only kind I have right now. Usually JL has ‘em

Skimmer Juice
04-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Halloween hermits are great and the best looking imo :biggrin:.
I have a ton of micro brittles , bumblebee snails and they dont bother anything . And great for algae keepers as well