PDA

View Full Version : BTA just split!

G1GY
12-24-2004, 01:28 AM
My BTA just split, so I was wondering if it's normal for a small fairly recently added BTA to just up and split? Do I keep feeding them both as normal or give them a few days rest to get adjusted? The first one likes to move around allot and roll itself into a ball every couple days or so at night.

How often do they do this? (I hope not too often.)
Is this a good thing? (First BTA I ever kept.)

Any info would be very much appreciated. :smile:

Bob I
12-24-2004, 03:27 AM
It was probably stressed, and wanting to survive it split. (I am guessing) I would just keep feeding them as usual. If two is too much for you I can use one. :biggrin:

Tarolisol
12-24-2004, 03:36 AM
If its a RBTA you should take out the split and sell it to me :mrgreen:

danny zubot
12-24-2004, 03:52 AM
Last spring I got a BTA from Alan and it split twice within a couple of weeks of me getting it. Both clones are alive and kickin' to this day. I think that BTAs split due to a drastic change in their environment or a change in feeding habits. Don't worry about it, just enjoy! You'll probly be able to sell it locally easily if you want.

Delphinus
12-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Fission is just one reproductive strategy employed by that species... BTA's are a colonial species. Stress may be a triggering factor, but it doesn't mean it's stressed if it splits ... it might do that as a matter of due course.