PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Aquarium

Matt
12-23-2004, 05:34 AM
Christmas greetings!

A while ago, I began a thread about a new 46gal bowfront I was considering turning up as a reef. I got such a warm reception from you folks, I thought I'd update.

The 46 went to a friend for a fw setup. I 'chickened out'... but we caught the bug and decided to start a nano reef. A 10gal setup is now cycling. Considering the interest that's been generated, I can already sense the regret for the 46.

If anyone has a moment for a question or two, I have a question or two...

1. There are a number of volunteer critters on the live rock. Most seem interesting, but I've observed a couple of what seem to be "aiptasia" anemones. What I've read leads me to believe that they don't have to be a problem, but some people are maniacal about them. Any experiences here to share? I've also observed some thin white worms, about 2cm when extended. Am I correct that most worms are nothing to worry about?

2. Sometime in the new year, after the tank cycles, I'll be adding a coral or two. Any suggestions for a beginner?

3. I'm already over my limit: Is there a brand of SW mix that is 'preferred'? I started with Red Sea, but it was based on availability/price not research. Recommendations, etc?

Merry Christmas!
Matt

Keen
12-23-2004, 05:35 PM
1. There are a number of volunteer critters on the live rock. Most seem interesting, but I've observed a couple of what seem to be "aiptasia" anemones. What I've read leads me to believe that they don't have to be a problem, but some people are maniacal about them. Any experiences here to share? I've also observed some thin white worms, about 2cm when extended. Am I correct that most worms are nothing to worry about?
2. Sometime in the new year, after the tank cycles, I'll be adding a coral or two. Any suggestions for a beginner?
3. I'm already over my limit: Is there a brand of SW mix that is 'preferred'? I started with Red Sea, but it was based on availability/price not research. Recommendations, etc?
Matt
as for the aiptsia, personally i have never had a bad problem with them, but my friend had a tank that was completely overrun with them. he used a fire shrimp and a butterfly fish to take care of the nasties.
for coral suggestions, I would recommend a soft coral to start out with as they tend to be more hardy compared to most hard corals. I started my corals with a torch coral, and it died within a month. then i got a colt coral, and it have had that for more than 2 years now. i have even taken frags of it and given it away to some people to help them get started.
as for salt brands, i personally use coralife salt, , but i know alot of people also prefer kent or IO (instant ocean). those are probably the 2 most popular brands.