PDA

View Full Version : need help from a electronic type guy

StirCrazy
12-23-2004, 01:13 AM
OK I am trying to figure out how to control the current going through a stainless steel wire in order to control the temp the wire heats up to. I though about using a triac from a base board heater but that will not give me any electrical isolation. Can anyone thing of a cheep way to use a transformer that will let me put enuf power into the stainless steel wire to heat it up good?

Steve

KrazyKuch
12-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Well if you are trying to heat up the steal wire first find out the resistance of the wire....Once you have that you can use the formula of

P=IČR, (I=√P/R)

Were P (Power Measured in Watts), I (Current), and R (Resistance)

So Once you know the resistance of the wire and How much power you want it to consume (how many watts you want it to put out) then you can figure out how much current you need going through it. Then you just need to buy a cheap power supply that will put out that much current. Though you may need to put in a current limiting resistor in their to keep the current at the level you need it at!!!

Or if you have allready figured this out and have a power supply and what not and just need a way to control the amount of current try a Dimmer

Hope this helps any....if still need more clarification on it please PM me or just post here and I will try and answer asap!

StirCrazy
12-23-2004, 03:28 PM
ya I can do that part I just can't remember how to figure out how many watts to heat the wire up to a specific temp :mrgreen: :redface: oh well time to break the books out and look it up.

Steve

titus
12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Hello,

I don't think there is a fast answer to this because the same wattage dissipated over a different size of wire gives you different temperature.

Titus

StirCrazy
12-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Hello,

I don't think there is a fast answer to this because the same wattage dissipated over a different size of wire gives you different temperature.

Titus

ya, this is what I am thinking. but if I know how much power I need to get a 36" stainless steel wire of a specific gage to say 700 degrees then I can go with that and put a rheostat in front to the power supply to adjust it down wards. Just got to figure out what gage I need to go with now.

Steve