PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your Concept Builds!

Millepora_Maniac
02-25-2019, 05:36 PM
I am about to purchase a large custom aquarium from concept. its gonna be a 5x30' x2' tank, nice and wide for extra swimming room and depth of vision.

Lets see a few of their builds! any pros? Any Cons? lets hear em!

DKoKoMan
02-25-2019, 06:21 PM
300g Concept Tank

https://i.imgur.com/B2nggu6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/juVgSyk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4sKME0U.jpg

Millepora_Maniac
02-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Awesome! any advice or things you'd do differently? Are you happy with the build quality and finished product?

DKoKoMan
02-25-2019, 09:44 PM
I’m really happy with the overall build. Black silicone with polished edges are a must to me. Dave was really good to deal with! Just be specific on what you want and have a conversation with him. You get what you want!

smokinreefer
02-26-2019, 04:32 AM
I have a concept display as well.
Over all I am pleased.

I did not deal with Dave.

From my personal experience, my advice would be to keep communication clear. have a checklist with all the items and details you requested/ordered and go through it with them during construction. Beat that horse dead.

The last thing you want is to spend thousands of dollars and not get what you asked for, and were told you would get.

In my case, I ordered a white bottom. Did it have a white bottom when it arrived? NO.
Resolution: sent me some acrylic sheets and silicone. So now I'm siliconing sheets of acrylic with my awesome (sacrasm) DIY skills on my newly purchased expensive custom display tank.

Is polished edges the same as bevelled?
Mine are bevelled, except for the corner edges of the eurobrace, which I also believe to be an oversight. Makes no sense to me to have everything bevelled and then have a small piece that's sharp.

To me, it would make sense that they provide a list of all the details they can do for custom tanks and let you pick which features you want. If that was available to me I think the tank would've been perfect.

To me these details are quite important because my tank is a Peninsula. And it's in the main area of my home. It's a centerpiece and a focal point and most likely my final display.
I wanted it perfect, but I am satisfied.

But just like anything else. Over time some things won't bother you anymore. Get it filled and start reefing and you won't sweat the small stuff anymore anyways.

msjboy
02-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Just curious, are most Concept tanks still euro-braced or are they like Red Sea, Elos, Wavebox which are not. Also, saw Bill Wan guy stating you should maybe consider triple plumbing overflow protection and use the highest quality of valves with unions ( Legend, Hayward, etc ). Do Concept tanks have this?
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYaHGQoPVc ) : 37 minute mark.

WarDog
02-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Just curious, are most Concept tanks still euro-braced or are they like Red Sea, Elos, Wavebox which are not. Also, saw Bill Wan guy stating you should maybe consider triple plumbing overflow protection and use the highest quality of valves with unions ( Legend, Hayward, etc ). Do Concept tanks have this?
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYaHGQoPVc ) : 37 minute mark.

Concept tanks have whatever you want. That's the point of custom.

smokinreefer
02-26-2019, 08:48 PM
When you get into larger tanks, they are often eurobrace due to cost. Meaning if needed structurally, glass will have to be thicker (without eurobrace) which adds a considerable amount of weight and $$$.

That and my tank is on hardwood. And I have kids. So I wanted to keep splashing to an absolute minimum.

Millepora_Maniac
02-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice, i will definitely be very specific about it all.

The dude i talked to seemed to be really knowledgeable and pretty near finished my sentences for me, we were on the exact same page.

I will definitely mention that i want all edges beveled and polished, even the bracing.

kyl
02-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice, i will definitely be very specific about it all.

The dude i talked to seemed to be really knowledgeable and pretty near finished my sentences for me, we were on the exact same page.

I will definitely mention that i want all edges beveled and polished, even the bracing.

They should be doing a sketchup of the tank before build, make sure you give that a good once over.

H2o2
02-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Another one ordered, this time frag tank

Khiyasu
02-27-2019, 09:01 PM
I wonder if there would be savings on shipping if we ordered to be delivered at the same time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2o2
02-27-2019, 09:15 PM
I live in the Okanagan 🤠

Khiyasu
02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Maybe if there was an electric truck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinreefer
02-28-2019, 12:07 AM
I'm sure you know, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet.
Don't forget starphire for viewing panes.

eternitybc
03-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Too funny, I’m just in the quote phase for a concept 12 foot x 22x31 monster. Doing the polished euro brace too. Maybe they can use the same truck for all of us!

smokinreefer
03-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Wow nice. 12'.

Bblinks
03-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Buddy just got a 10 footer from them....super nice job

eternitybc
03-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Yeah, I'm super psyched. Although by the time you factor in the Tank, Structural Engineer, and Contractor the price gets up there!
Plus I have to figure out how the hell to get it from the truck into its new home. :lol:

smokinreefer
03-05-2019, 03:23 AM
I think I got 8 guys over to carry the 8 footer. No suctions.

Only a few stairs out front and a few stairs inside.

But it gets awkward. And I don't think I had my inside railings up yet.

I would recommend having it professionally moved unless you have lots of access in the area it's going.

msjboy
03-05-2019, 03:46 AM
I recall Reefbuilder's video visit to Jason Fox's basement, ahd his 1800 gallon tank is a 12 footer tank put in place with 14 guys who were steel workers...