PDA

View Full Version : Fish Suggestions

Richer
12-22-2004, 03:59 AM
I'm thinking about replacing my recently deceased lawnmower blenny sometime in the near future. I will most likely replace it with another LB, but I would like to consider other options. I was over at AI and I saw some neat looking gobies, the orange prawn goby (Amblyeleotris guttata I think?) was my favorite. However, I do have some questions. Do all gobies require a sand substrate? My tank is essentially a BB tank with a few spots of sand here and there. The goby I saw over at AI didn't seem to be burrowing in the sand, nor hiding under the rock that was in its tank, so maybe it doesn't really need a sandy substrate?

If not, what other kind of fish would you suggest? I would like a fish that perches on rocks and is not much of a swimmer.

Display tank is 30 gallons with a 15 gallon sump with a total of around 30-40lbs of rock in the display and sump combined.

-Rich

Tarolisol
12-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Ive got a bi color blenny that has more personality in one fin then most people ive met. It is a great fish that tends to jump from perch to perch.

kuatto
12-22-2004, 05:09 AM
What about a yellow clown goby?

Richer
12-22-2004, 06:11 AM
I like the suggestions, please keep them coming :razz:

-Rich

danny zubot
12-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Rich said: The goby I saw over at AI didn't seem to be burrowing in the sand
I don't think it would be wise to trust fish behavior in the pet store. The fish will not be itself because it is merely in transit. I'd research gobies if you want to get one. I haven't had good luck with lawnmower blennies and I think they're ugly. Are you looking for something to eat algae? Or just a cool fish in general?

Richer
12-22-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm just looking for a neat looking fish with an attitude simliar to a lawnmower (the whole rock perching/staring thing). I think lawnmowers are ugly too, but at the same time... quite neat.

I've done a little reading on yellow clown gobies. I've heard that they're potentially not reef safe due to their nipping of sps corals. Does anyone have experience with this?

-Rich

muck
12-22-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm just looking for a neat looking fish with an attitude simliar to a lawnmower (the whole rock perching/staring thing). I think lawnmowers are ugly too, but at the same time... quite neat.

I've done a little reading on yellow clown gobies. I've heard that they're potentially not reef safe due to their nipping of sps corals. Does anyone have experience with this?

-Rich

This might help...
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12358&highlight=

Delphinus
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
(the whole rock perching/staring thing).

A hawkfish comes to mind with this description as well...