PDA

View Full Version : Emerald crabs

Murminator
12-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Does anyone have 1 in like a 20gal? does he have enough to eat? or will he turn to eating corals?

muck
12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I have one in my 40 and so far so good.
Of course if I could train it to eat Xenia that would be a bonus... :mrgreen:
This link may help answer a few questions.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/emerald_crab.htm

Fish
12-23-2004, 06:21 PM
I have one in a 20ish gal and it has never bothered a coral yet. It picks minute algae pieces of off the rocks and also eats bubble algae (bless his heart :smile: ).
I think the key is getting a true emerald crab. I heard once that there are something like 17 different species of crab that are all sold at lfs's under the name "emerald crab". As far as I understand, the key is in flattened saucer-shaped claw tips instead of pointed claw tips. Of course, you always take the risk of an animal going rogue and behaving in the worst way it possibly could. I have bought two emerald crabs from Wai's and had really good success each time.

- Chad

ungp
12-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Got one in my 12 G for about 6 months. Did very well, ate lots of buble agae, flakes.. but it kept knocking over some of my small frags, so traded him to a larger home.

Murminator
01-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Well I broke down and bought 1 he has the rounded claws and hairy legs we call him Jade :rolleyes: . He seems to be eating up everything the hermits don't want to touch, he has yet to touch any bubble algae. He is a little bull in a china shop with knocking over frags, I think he is responsible for dragging out a feather duster from between rocks so it is easier for him to walk through.
If anyone is looking for emerald crabs or feather dusters Saltwater Fantasies has emerald crabs for $7.95 and large hawaiian feather dusters(3-4") for $9.95 :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
01-01-2005, 02:13 AM
You think you could post a pic, im not sure ive ever seen an emerald crab

megatron_55
01-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Fish stores says they are reef safe but in my 15 gal reef as soon as I put 1 in it started picking and eating my anthelias. . . weird. .

Murminator
01-05-2005, 03:33 AM
He has eaten all my bubble aglae :mrgreen: He seem to be happy and he only come out to show off when your sitting in front.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1305jade.jpg

Pay no attention to the dying zoos on the left :cry:

DEAD_BY_DAWN
01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
if anyone has any for sale i'm looking for a few please pm me thanks john..