PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles

Jaws
12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
I got home from work about an hour ago and realized that there were a bunch of tiny bubbles that had formed all over the back wall of the tank. I basted them all off along with the rock at the same time. I went back in to have a look about an hour later and there were even more bubbles this time as well as the copper looking stuff that I siphoned off of the sand bed yesterday was already coming back pretty noticably and even some of the rock is looking rather copper-like. There's no bubbles being created or circulating in the tank to cause this problem either. Any ideas?

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 01:20 AM
sounds like your getting some cyno or something like it. increase your skimming and decrese your feeding. syphon as much out as you can.

Steve

Jaws
12-21-2004, 01:25 AM
I have a feeling that the number of fish I have is way too much and the amount I'm feeding them is hurting my tank. How much and how often should I be feeding without putting the fish in jeopardy?

Aquattro
12-21-2004, 02:13 AM
didn't we do the fish feeding thread already?

Jaws
12-21-2004, 03:04 AM
We did, but that's not working. The regal angel won't eat anything other than mysis. I've been feeding shrimp pellets most of the time but only certain fish will eat them. Plus the Blue Regal Tang eats most of it before any other fish gets a chance to. I want to get rid of half of the fish but I don't think it'll be very easy so I was going to wait until I move in March.

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 03:50 AM
I want to get rid of half of the fish but I don't think it'll be very easy so I was going to wait until I move in March.

I would start by getting rid of the angel. you could probably get a deicent trade for it and it is a mater of time till it tasts the yummy corals.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 03:51 AM
for what its worth I hardly feed anything and I still get spots of cyno once and a while. I blame it on the sand bed as I only get it in the 25 gal tank and thats the one that still has a sand bed.

Steve

Chin_Lee
12-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Jay
what you got for fish in that tank? and what size tank?

danny zubot
12-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Jaws said: The regal angel won't eat anything other than mysis.

Have you tried rinsing the mysis? I have recently started doing this and it cuts down on the amount of left over food in the tank.

AJ_77
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
When I read that some members (when they used to feed at all) rinsed all the mysis that went into their tank, I went to the kitchen store and found a teeny-tiny strainer so I could the same.

a bit of a pain but it seems to be helping... 'cause that fish in my avatar is a mysis-seeking missile - and he's growing... :eek:

Chin_Lee
12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
i put a chunk in a cup and fill it with water. most of the mysis will sink to the bottom and i will drain the water. the small particle pieces will flow out faster than the whole mysis will stay. then fill it back up and drain over and over again until most of the small bits and pieces are gone and only the big shrimps are left.
I usually have to do this about 6-10 times to get clean water with shrimps only. I can't imagine putting all those small particles into my water column in every feeding cuz my fish will only go for the big pieces. eventually the small particles will sink to the bottom and whatever's not eaten by the hermits will pollute.
i used to feed frozen formula 1 and 2 but that also has a lot of uneaten particles that float off so I've stopped using them.

danny zubot
12-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Thats pretty much how I do it too. But I like Alan's idea, I'm going to find a tiny strainer. Besides, the only benifit those small particles ever had was feeding the crabs. They need to learn to eat algae again. :mad:

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm going to find a tiny strainer. Besides, the only benifit those small particles ever had was feeding the crabs. They need to learn to eat algae again. :mad:

if you look in the buck stores I found and all plastic strainer set that went from 1 cup down to 1/4 cup.

the juce could also be good for corals and such also. I only feed mysis once a week and I put everything in. if I were to feed more often I would probably rince all but once a week.

Steve

Jaws
12-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Are you guys feeding your fish every day as well as feeding mysis once a week?

StirCrazy
12-22-2004, 04:18 AM

um.. some times, usaly some pellets every second day for the chromis. the tang can eat algae.

Steve

AJ_77
12-22-2004, 04:10 PM

um.. some times, usaly some pellets every second day for the chromis. the tang can eat algae.

Steve
Umm, what are these pellets you guys keep mentioning? Is there a special brand of pellet that is superior, like OSI or something?

StirCrazy
12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I am using HBH Marine soft & moist Krill. they arn't realy soft though :confused:

Steve