PDA

View Full Version : Water changes disposing of old water

1bigstud
01-10-2019, 04:12 AM
What are people doing to get rid of old tank water?

Right now mine goes into a corner of my yard, but was wondering if it would be safe to flush or would the salt erod plumbing? Older house so most likely metal piping.

gregzz4
01-10-2019, 04:43 AM
Flush it. My house is from the late 70s and I don't worry about it.
As long as you clear the lines with fresh water you have nothing to worry about. It's not like it will sit there and rot the lines as long as you give it a little rinse.

I run my old tank water into the toilet through a hose.
I run a few gallons of fresh water to flush my water change hose. Then I flush the toilet once after to reset the level in the bowl.
'nuff work for me :lol:

1bigstud
01-10-2019, 04:45 AM
I dump 5 gallon buckets, so i guess after flushing a bucket i could dump a bucket of freshwater from the tub to rinse it.
Seems very wasteful though

dino
01-10-2019, 02:33 PM
fyi salt water kills you grass

Ryan
01-10-2019, 03:45 PM
fyi salt water kills you grass

Ive been throwing it onto my grass for years and have not had an issue. Infact its the opposite, the grass seems to grow faster in the half circle I can throw the water.

Dearth
01-10-2019, 06:25 PM
My old water just goes down the drain

Ya Dude
01-10-2019, 08:11 PM
I’ve been dropping bombs down the same hole for 20 years now with no issues so I’m sure salt water is less corrosive than that toxic waste
You’ll be fine!

Frogger
01-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Ive been throwing it onto my grass for years and have not had an issue. Infact its the opposite, the grass seems to grow faster in the half circle I can throw the water.

Not sure if this is the best anecdotal advice being given. Just take a look at how well the trees and grasses grow on the beach by the ocean.

As long as there is not antibiotics in it sewage treatment plants are best setup to handle it. Don't be dumping it in the storm drain this could land you in jail.

The most environmental sound practice would be to recycle it with bleach, although that is overkill.

dino
01-12-2019, 01:17 AM

I guess we have different grass. I have never medicated and it kills my grass. I don’t normally see grass by the ocean