PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis

Nemo
12-20-2004, 01:00 AM
I have bryopsis now growing like mad in my 2 week old tank along with some hair algae. Any thoughts?

Robert

chwkreefer
12-20-2004, 01:36 AM
I have bryopsis now growing like mad in my 2 week old tank along with some hair algae. Any thoughts?

Robert

I would check your calcium, alk and pH. One of these is probably out of whack. Typically if you have chronically low alkalinity you get unstable or low pH and these conditions are prime for going through a phase with bryopsis.

When I've had problems with bryopsis is was because my alk was low. Within a short time of correcting that problem the bryopsis pretty much cleared up on it's own. But if you have a lot of bryopsis, I would scrub and siphon the stuff out as well as correcting the water parameters.

Of course you want low organic levels in your tank as well (ie. nutrient export via skimming and water changes) and good flow for gas exchange. (get the CO2 out and more oxygen to help raise the pH).

Bill

danny zubot
12-20-2004, 02:22 PM
You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what is bryopsis? How does one recognise it? Any pics?

chwkreefer
12-20-2004, 03:28 PM
You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what is bryopsis? How does one recognise it? Any pics?

Do a search on google. Select "images" and type in "bryopsis". You'll see lots of pics. Its a green feathery looking algae that really smells and very few fish eat it. :biggrin: