PDA

View Full Version : Corals for sale - pickup only

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 06:30 PM
If you've seen something in my tank you liked, send me a note via email or PM. Christmas clearance sale on now, (almost)everythng must go. :neutral:

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Here are a couple of shots...

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/leftsale.jpg

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/rightsale.jpg

christyf5
12-19-2004, 09:41 PM
:eek:

You throwing in the towel??

Christy :)

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 09:59 PM

towel has been thrown....

Azilla
12-19-2004, 10:00 PM
damn wish i was close to u i would love alot of those.

christyf5
12-19-2004, 10:08 PM

towel has been thrown....

Bummer :sad:

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Bummer :sad:

Understatement :neutral:

StirCrazy
12-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Anyone interested in going in on the blue tort?

Steve

Beverly
12-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Will you have any tanks left? I hope, I hope :biggrin:

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Bev, yes, I'll have a tank, just not sure it'll have anything in it right away.

ldzielak
12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Steve,

I could be interested in going in on a bunch of things.

Brad,

Email me the hi res pics. lee.dzielak@telus.net

Lee

Samw
12-19-2004, 11:33 PM

Steve

I am if you're coming to the Mainland.

Brad, are you going with LPS, Softies, and Fish then?

Aquattro
12-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Email me the hi res pics. lee.dzielak@telus.net

Lee

Lee, you're making an assumption I have hi-res pics!! :razz:

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Sam, I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. Just need to step back for a while...

StirCrazy
12-20-2004, 12:04 AM

Steve

I am if you're coming to the Mainland.

Maybe you should come to the Island for coffee :mrgreen:

there are a couple other corals that will not be broken up by Brad, but if a few people want to go in on them then they can frag them themselves. there are a couple of those that I would be interested in frags from but sadly due to Christmas I cannot afford the whole thing at this time. So if anyone is in the same boat let me know.

Steve

Jaws
12-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Count me in on the Blue tort.

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 12:16 AM
The cute little purple bali is spoken for, and a sale pending on the tort also.

Bob I
12-20-2004, 01:04 AM
That is really too bad Brad. :sad: Maybe you should give the KISS principle a try. After more than three years, I am still rolling along with no towel throwing in my near future. :biggrin: . Just a thought. :mrgreen:

Beverly
12-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Bev, yes, I'll have a tank, just not sure it'll have anything in it right away.

Good to hear. Once salt is in the blood, it's hard to get away from it for too long :smile:

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Bob, I'm not sure if that would help. There are lots of tanks with all the bells and whistles that are successful for years. Mine ws also one of them until I made a big change. It just never recovered. And to be honest, it's just an acropora issue. All other corals are growig and thriving. I'm fragging the pocciliporas just like last year.The caps are growing strong. Just acros in my tank are dying. People that have taken frags report that they are growing well in other tanks, so it looks like something in my tank is the cause. Maybe the steel frame leaching rust into the tank? Not sure.

The plan right now is this.. I've made arrangements to buy back my 75g (that my wife is still mad about me selling) and starting fresh in there. I will duplicate the setup I had (which was very successful) and see where it takes me.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-20-2004, 04:58 AM
PM sent.

AJ_77
12-20-2004, 06:04 AM
Yup, I'll be right over Brad... but I'll also be needing your skimmer, reactor, pumps - will these things be included with the corals? :wink:

Sorry to hear it has come to this. Will be watching your 75 project with great interest.

Cheers.

Samw
12-20-2004, 06:12 AM
Sam, I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. Just need to step back for a while...

You can still have a really nice tank without it being Acro-centric. You should keep the big tank and have other stuff besides sensitive Acros. You can still keep a few Acros but just don't make your tank centered around Acros. The Acros that end up surviving are probably the strongest ones and will probably stay with you in the long run and you can still have a great tank with a few Acros.

By the way, I still have the Blue Millepora frag that I got from you last year. It hadn't grown much since my tank isn't optimized for Acros but I can see that it is now just starting to grow new branches. It survived some pretty bad times in my tank where 70% of my Acro colonies died off. The Blue Mille however didn't seem affected at all. No tissue loss on that one.

Reefhawk1
12-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi there, I will be flying out of Victoria on the 26th. Do you have a list and prices on the corals.

Thanks

Stan

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 07:16 AM
OK. Good news/bad news. Sale is now on hold due to the discovery (FINALLY) of what the problem is.

My acropora corals are "under attack" by camouflaged acropora eating flatworms. Steve and I spent a couple of hours tonight peering into the microscope finding these (not so) little bastards!! They are invisible until they move, although their egg sacks are visible.
There is a thread or three on RC about them, apparently common in Europe. We doesd some flatworm exit into a test container, but the results were inconclusive.
A FW dip removed them in seconds though, although the eggs seemed unaffected.

Since this discovery, I can't knowingly pass these on. Sorry for any excited coral purchasers. Now I have a whole new dilema....

For those that have got frags from me over the last year, if possible,you may want to perform a quick FW dip on your acros, if they appear to not be doing well.
I'll post a link to the RC article shortly.

Samw
12-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Dragon pipefish to the rescue??

StirCrazy
12-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Dragon pipefish to the rescue??

aparently it is the 6 line that has sucess with this.. don't know how a pipe fish would do in a full blowen reef. they are cool if I didn't think my turn over rate would drive it nuts I would have one.

Steve

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 07:23 AM
yes, apparently a six line likes these things.

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 07:24 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469182&highlight=flatworm

Samw
12-20-2004, 07:26 AM
aparently it is the 6 line that has sucess with this.. don't know how a pipe fish would do in a full blowen reef. they are cool if I didn't think my turn over rate would drive it nuts I would have one.

Steve

I remember reading that dragon pipefish do well in SPS tanks because they swim (slither) along the bottom of the tank rather than swimming in the mid or upper part.

StirCrazy
12-20-2004, 07:39 AM

Steve

I remember reading that dragon pipefish do well in SPS tanks because they swim (slither) along the bottom of the tank rather than swimming in the mid or upper part.

hmm ya but now that I am bare bottom I have a tunze and a reio seio blowing directly on the bottom so my flow is actualy spread evenly through out the tank.

Steve

Orion80
12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I actually have one, in my 75gln community reef tank, it has stayed alive so far over the past 2 mnths, and semms to b finding, food as i have never directly fed it, everything i read on them they eat live only, and he/she does slither swin on around the corals looking for food none of my other fish bother and it does not seem to b scared by any of them either. Just as a note my turn over is around 1600 gln a hour but i also have about 120 phns of live rock in the this tank as well.

Adie

StirCrazy
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Just as a note my turn over is around 1600 gln a hour but i also have about 120 phns of live rock in the this tank as well.

Adie

How do you think it would do with 5200 gal/h turnover in your tank?

Steve

christyf5
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Well Brad, thank god you finally figured it out after all this time. I hope you can get rid of the little buggers and keep your tank going :biggrin:

Good luck!

Christy :)

ldzielak
12-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Brad,

Good news, I would rather you keep your system. I'm sure your corals will end up in with us as frags someday. Glad you picked up the towel.

Now where do I spend that money..... :biggrin:

Lee

StirCrazy
12-20-2004, 06:13 PM
here is a pic for thoes that are interested.
http://members.shaw.ca/crystalk/coraleater.jpg

Steve

Chin_Lee
12-20-2004, 07:06 PM
are these guys hit and miss for going after cleaner/blood shrimps? I've got 4 shrimps in my tank and would hate to lose them for a 6-line. I've read many that they leave the shrimps alone and some that says they will attack shrimps.

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I just picked up a six line, and i think if it wne t after the cleaner shrimps, they'd eat him!! No worry at all, IMO.
Now, if the pinky yellow fish would stop chasing the six line... :rolleyes:

Also, while it's nice to have everyone's support for keeping my tank, I haven't actually decided to keep it. I just can't sell corals right now with these worms. I may still downsize, or go dry for a while. I'm going through my tank and any coral with eggs on it is getting destroyed. The worms themselves seem easily killed with FW dips, but the eggs are not affected by this. I have to figure out the next step.

ldzielak
12-20-2004, 10:46 PM
So if the worms are easily kill, how about multiple FW dips? Every few days, I'm sure if you kill off all the adults, you will beat them before they can reproduce. Also maybe the eggs are still there, but a FW dip could be damaging and they will slowly die. I'm sure you can win and not kill any more corals.

IMO,

Lee

Aquattro
12-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Lee, I'm not sure how many FW dips an acro can take. It does stress them a lot. One colony I dipped a couple of times last night is now dead.

I may move my stuff into the 75g, FW dipping the stronger acros. The rest will go away. At that point, if someone wanted to try some frags that would otherwise get tossed, I would give some away.

Scavenger
12-20-2004, 11:04 PM
How secure are the eggs attached? I wonder if having a large pump or powerhead in hand and "pressure wash" them off would work.

Aquattro
12-21-2004, 01:17 AM
How secure are the eggs attached? I wonder if having a large pump or powerhead in hand and "pressure wash" them off would work.

Never. A very firm toothbrush might do it. As far as I can tell, the corals with eggs on them are gone.

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Lee, I'm not sure how many FW dips an acro can take. It does stress them a lot. One colony I dipped a couple of times last night is now dead.

I may move my stuff into the 75g, FW dipping the stronger acros. The rest will go away. At that point, if someone wanted to try some frags that would otherwise get tossed, I would give some away.

is that the one that had the flatworm exit dip, then the fresh water dip then the air dry method? :mrgreen:

Steve

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 01:24 AM

to elaborate on this I tried scraping them off with my fingernail and it was fairly hard. they are on there good.

Steve

Aquattro
12-21-2004, 02:12 AM
The oven method works well, although the corals don't handle it well! :razz:

Jack
12-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Brad, glad you found your problem. How did you find these?!

I know it's easy for me to say, especially what you've gone through, but don't give up.

Can you start a new thread about these things in the Reef Forum?

StirCrazy
12-21-2004, 05:00 AM
Brad, glad you found your problem. How did you find these?!

We went to look at the eggs under the scope and after staring at the different parts of the coral to see if we could see anything else Brad saw the coral flesh move. I of course thought he was on nyquill or something cuz nothing moved for the minit I looked but then I saw it and then we turned into the mad scientests trying to make flatworms explode.. never got that much excitment though but it is pretty interesting to watch what happens to a flat worm when you put fresh water on it under the microscope. :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
12-25-2004, 03:45 AM
I've emailed the local people interested in acropora and described the "new plan". Please check your registered emails, you know who you are. :razz:

StirCrazy
12-25-2004, 05:57 AM
I've emailed the local people interested in acropora and described the "new plan". Please check your registered emails, you know who you are. :razz:

Did you send me one?

Steve

Aquattro
12-25-2004, 06:03 AM
Did you send me one?

Steve

I thought so, but maybe I forgot :razz: I'll copy you on it.

Samw
12-27-2004, 03:08 AM
I might have some of those flatworms as well. I placed a rock (that use to have a living acro attached) into a bucket of fresh water and saw a number of clear flatworms drop off.

Aquattro
12-27-2004, 04:57 AM
Sam, do you notice any recession on your existing acros? As withthe red bugs, I suspect more people have them than realize. Although I don't think they're as commn as the red bugs.

Samw
12-28-2004, 09:56 AM
I have some very slow recession on the tips of a couple of frags. Its actually not the first time I've seen these clear flatworms. I've had them for a while as I remember seeing them whenever I freshwater-dip some liverock bits. I just never thought it might be doing damage to Acros before. But maybe they are afterall.

sumpfinfishe
01-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Wow I have been out of the loop on this one!
Sorry to hear about your situation Brad :cry:
I hope things take a turn for the better now.
I had seen some regression on the stalk of my purpletip bottlebrush colony the other day, thought maybe it stressed after a slight salinity swing, then after reading your thread I went to the tank pulled out the PB and gave it a dip. Sure enough I had two flatworms on the base drop off, they were about the size of a small pod. Well after reading your post I think I'm not gonna take any chances, tomorrow all the sps are getting dipped-but not oven baked :razz:
Keep us updated on how things go!
cheers, Rich

Aquattro
01-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Rich, I think we'll see more of these as time goes on. Treating corals before they go in our tanks will need to become a hait, I'm afraid.
I pretty much have no more acropora in my tank, although hopefully I've spread them around enough to get most of my favorites back in the spring.
The other corals are doing fine, and hopefully I'll have the new tank setup shortly for the transfer.

sumpfinfishe
01-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah I have to agree with you there Brad, it seems like more and more as time goes on. Maybe one reason for this increase is due to all the aquacultured corals, I mean if we all have corals and rock from different regions of the world, eventually I'm sure we would be spreading a wider variety of bugs within our systems. So maybe we need to all start quarintining or treating our frags before we buy or sell them :confused:

Goodluck with the transfer, I prey to the coral gods that all go's well for ya. I'm sure all those corals you gave away or traded will find a way back into your new tank, except for Steve that is-you may have a hard time prying some of those prized colonies out of his fins :razz: :mrgreen:

Also, when I took out the purpletip bottlebrush tonight for a 2nd closer inspection, I found another small flatworm on the base. I made a drastic decission to cut the table branches off the mother stalk, I know this is risky but I didn't see any other choice. The tissue loss has taken at least two weeks to cause concern. Now however I am worried as this is my second sps coral which is two years old and in the last 6 months I saw some amazing growth patterns. I kinda know how you feel, just in a lot smaller scale :frown:

All the best!
Rich