PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to dissolve silicone ?

kuatto
12-19-2004, 01:42 AM
Well after breaking the bottom of my empty 33,decided to take it apart to make a smaller cube tank(no sense wasting glass :biggrin: )Do they make anything to dissolve silicone?Something I can find at Canadiantire,etc.

mr_alberta
12-19-2004, 02:00 AM
They do make solvents, but they are usually pretty toxic. I've never seen them at Home Depot or anything though. I usually just use a small guage wire to take the tank apart and lots of new razor blades to clean the glass of. Wipe the panes with vinegar and newspaper after you are finished as well.

muck
12-19-2004, 02:01 AM
There is a product to remove silicone out there.
I can't remember off hand what it is called though.
You should be able to find it in the Silicone Aisle at Home Depot.

StirCrazy
12-19-2004, 03:17 AM
There is a product to remove silicone out there.
I can't remember off hand what it is called though.
You should be able to find it in the Silicone Aisle at Home Depot.

I bought some of it.. and when you read the directions it said "remove all external silicone with a razorblades or scraper" :rolleyes: " apply solvent and let sit for a while" (can't remember off hand how long)

so in the short, you still have to do all the work with a scraper, this is good for cleaning the final skim the razor won't take off the glass.

Steve

Nemo
12-19-2004, 06:09 AM
I agree, with my work I always take it off with a razor knife. And the little bit left over can be taken off with WD40.

Robert

kuatto
12-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Went to Rona and found stuff called "Goof Off",in a small yellow can for $6 and it worked great.After removing all silicone from the seams,let the liquid sit and seep between the edges for about 10 minutes,softens it right up.Be warned the stuff stinks,might want to open a window.

Nemo
12-19-2004, 11:41 PM
goof-off is highly toxic be very carefull that you have everything cleaned and no residue is left