PDA

View Full Version : How to mix salt

lordicon
11-03-2018, 10:35 PM
I have a quick question o just got some coralife salt mix and not sure if I have to mix for 24 hours or if I can use as soon as salt is mixed thanks?

Frogger
11-03-2018, 10:45 PM
I think it comes down to preference. You can use salt as soon as it is dissolved however I prefer to wait at least a day for anything to settle out and the water to become clearer.

If you decide to use it right away make sure the temperature and salinity is the same as what you are adding it to.

JamRobo
11-03-2018, 10:47 PM
you can use most salts after mixing and once fully dissolved but even better to mix and aerate with a air pump and stone as well as a power head for a few hours prior to use, Or if saving for later leave the airstone in.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

chizerbunoi
11-04-2018, 04:58 AM
I mix it into a bucket by hand. 3 minutes of stirring and in it goes. Been doing it like this for a long time. It works well for me.

DavidLong
11-04-2018, 10:52 AM
I mix it into a bucket by hand. 3 minutes of stirring and in it goes. Been doing it like this for a long time. It works well for me.

I do the same moves to the AquaForrest to eliminate the extra mixing time. How ever time it takes me to siphon the water is my mixing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synthesis
11-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Toss the salt and heated water into a bucket with a power head and a heater. Let it mix for 10-15 mins. In it goes. Don't burden yourself with the thought of how long salt should mix for etc. Salt instructions never mention length, just that it needs to be completly disolved. There is a reason for that.

hfp75
11-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Dont wait.... seriously....
Fill your container with water, put in a heater & power head-turn them on, wait 12-24 hrs. The water is salt ready. Put in salt until its 95% disolved and the salinity is right.... get it in your system asap.... cloudy is fine....

You DONT want what you added settling out. You want that in the f’ing tank!!

All the minerals and elements need to rebalance the existing old water.... not settle out.

I used to mix and wait a day - counter productive, my mixing container had formed a white resudue on the side.... all that was supposed to be in my tank but i didnt know what i was doing....

Cujo#31
12-31-2018, 04:34 AM
No easy answer. I run off of redundancy. Meaning I always have a full WC churning away in my barrel, because when you need to pull off an emergency WC....you really need properly mixed water.