PDA

View Full Version : help with my sump

DEAD_BY_DAWN
12-18-2004, 06:49 PM
ive just put in a 50g sump on my 90g tank,the sump holds give or take 35-40g of water,my concern is if the overflow blocks for some reason the pump will keep pumping and the result will be 35-40g of water on my floor once the tank overflows is there any sort of divice i can put in the sump so when the water level lowers to a certain point the pump will be switched off ? ..thanks for any help with this john

Quinster
12-18-2004, 06:55 PM
You can use float switches...
http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html
have never used these, got the link to try a DIY project.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
12-18-2004, 06:59 PM
thanks for the quick reply are they easy to install ?,my roommate wont let me touch electrical divices she says i'm a danger to myself and others,to which i replyed ive electrocuted myself many times and havent been hurt that bad :lol:

Bryan
12-18-2004, 08:32 PM
John:

You can raise the return pump near the top of the sump, worst case scenario is the pump may run dry and burn out if the overflow plugs and the sump starts to pump out.

Nemo
12-19-2004, 06:11 AM
I used bio balls in my over flow for 2 reasons.

1. kept the noise level down.
2. any garbage collects on them and will not plug the system, before I will see it

Robert

DEAD_BY_DAWN
12-19-2004, 08:03 PM
thanks for the post guys i will raise the pump till its near the top of the waater line,there is a sponge prefilter on the sump pump that keeps the noise down :)