PDA

View Full Version : ID stringy white stuff on rocks

Sidius
10-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Hello!!

I've noticed some white stringy like stuff that has been growing on the live rock I bought from JL and lately has spread to some of the dry rock I cycled as well. Some of the older strands have slowly turned a brown colour but were white/beige for a long time.

The pic shows some newer growth on a small piece of rock from JL. Is it just a harmless bacteria growth that will subside or could it be the start of some nuisance algae?

It's not all over the place but I do see more of it sprouting up.

I have blue legged and Scarlet hermits but they seem to ignore it. My cerith, astrea and trochus snails seem to ignore it as well. Bio-load is fairly small with just the cleanup crew listed, scarlet shrimp and a purple firefish at this point.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181026/414cd60790dded4b772e6ea920700087.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

sobe
10-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Hard to tell from the picture, it could be hydroids, tube worms or maybe a type of sponge. Google either one and check which one closely resemble these 3.

Sidius
11-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Since posting this, my snails have started eating whatever it was and it seems to be mostly gone from what I can tell.