PDA

View Full Version : MH, VHO heating

gbeef
12-17-2004, 03:45 PM
hey guys im debating on MH because of heat issues. so i have some questions.

1. For the people running dual halide do you have a heat problem without a chiller?

2. im thinking about mixing VHO are there any heat issues?
thanks for the input guys.
reason i ask here and not RC, is because our climate is different then the states

AJ_77
12-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Put your tank in the basement - problem solved (well, almost). A slow fan is all I use to cool my 110 to 80 degrees, with 2x400W MH over my open top. Without the fan, it reaches 82 degrees.

This climate is ideal for a basement tank, IMO... :biggrin:

Buccaneer
12-17-2004, 05:13 PM
You have to decide if the animals you plan to keep will require MH ... if the answer is yes then muffin fans are usually all that is required and/or adjust the height above the water of the hood. If you have a sump some people put the fans there instead of the hood ... and of course there is the chiller route ( mucho dineros ).

Alot of us in Calgary go with larger systems and keep them in the basement ... as Alan has said the temps of the basements are just about right for reeftanks without having to spend big bucks on chillers.

BMW Rider
12-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I have my reef tank in my basement as well partly for the temperature stability. I have dual 250w MH and dual 96w PCs on it and my temperature stays at 79 -80 all the time. I have a duct from the light hood venting outside the upper cabinet to get rid of the hot air from the lights, and also a fan venting out of the cabinet side to control humidity and heat. I also have a fan running on the lower cabinet for the same reason. I have a Mag 9.5 pump running in my sump for a return, which also adds heat to the water, and my dual 300w heaters still need to run to keep the temperature stable.

gbeef
12-17-2004, 08:43 PM
sounds good.
my new setup is going to the basment. Heres the specs my new setup.

100Gal 60" x 18" 20"
Planning on 1X250Mh & 175Mh reason why im going with 2 different ballast is so i can keep softies and LPS. Also i would like to keep high demanding coral on one side of the tank and lower demanding coral on the other.

I plan to keep the lights off the water about 12"
Ive looked at all options for lighting the problem ive found is MH cost the same as any other option there. Except i dont want to fork out money for a chiller, that was my biggest concern.