PDA

View Full Version : First fish for a 25 gallon cube

Tarolisol
12-17-2004, 01:45 AM
well my new 25 gallon cube has been running for a few days and i want to add a fish in a week or two and wondering what you guys would all suggest. They tank has no lid so nothing that jumps. Im goin to post a pic of it later for everyone who likes picks as much as i do :mrgreen:

albert_dao
12-17-2004, 01:47 AM
<sarcasm>Achilles tang is a surefire winner!</sarcasm>

Yellow watchman gobies are pretty tough

Rikko
12-17-2004, 01:53 AM
I assume the tank has mature live rock or you know what you're doing in cycling it. That said, my vote goes for an A. ocellaris. They're tough, pretty, and unlikely to jump. Gobies and blennies are a lot of fun but a lot of the species have a tendency to jump (at least at first).
Chromis? Or just start with a few shrimps?

Tarolisol
12-17-2004, 02:13 AM
I like the shirmp idea, they rock is matured for about 3 months in another tank i already have false clowns in my other tank and was thinking of goin with true clowns. Also with the rock being matured how does this effect the cycle. And heres a pick

http://www.geocities.com/seanward84/cube.JPG

Richer
12-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Mature rock = little/no cycle

I'd go with the shrimp and true perc idea.

-Rich

kuatto
12-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Nice tank,love the look of no bands.Did you remove them or was it made like that?

Tarolisol
12-17-2004, 05:04 AM
I made the tank myself, got the glass cut and then it was up to me, really easy and for less then 40 dollers including silicon. It 18x18x18. Im thinking percula pair and shirmp would look nice in there as well, maybe a mandarin in a year or so.

mr_alberta
12-17-2004, 05:24 AM
If you do get a mandarin, just make sure it takes prepared foods or have a really big fuge with lots of rocks or buy live foods such as pods.

Ryan
12-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I would definalty go with the clowns. Then spend the money and buy a blood shrimp. Such a small tank may as well spend some money. Nice tank. What r u using for lighting? Give us some spec on this tank. What size of AC r u running?

Tarolisol
12-17-2004, 03:19 PM
I have 2 55 watt PC bulbs running of a workhorse 8 and am thinking about adding a 3rd, its an aquaclear 500 is used for heater and macro.

Then spend the money and buy a blood shrimp. Such a small tank may as well spend some money

HAHA spend the money obviosly you havent seen my other thread "the biggining of 210 gallon inwall", theres the money this is just goin to be a nice zoo and mushroom tank to enjoy in my room.

danny zubot
12-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Thats a cool cube! :cool: Want to make me one?

Tarolisol
12-17-2004, 07:26 PM
You buy the glass and silicon and ill make one for ya.

spikehs
12-17-2004, 11:52 PM
thats the same dimensions as mine, although i have a fuge built into the back, I have a tomato clown, royal gramma, and a blue damsel... all get along fine, i might add one more small fish, not to sure.

Tarolisol
12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Sounds good what kind of damsel do you have in there golds has some blue velvet ones i really like and was thinking of getting one anyone know anything about these. And any one seen some true percs anywhere in calgary.

spikehs
12-18-2004, 01:30 AM
its just one of the plain blue damsels (can't remember the exact name) hasn't bothered a thing.

StirCrazy
12-18-2004, 01:32 AM
<sarcasm>Achilles tang is a surefire winner!</sarcasm>

Yellow watchman gobies are pretty tough

:eek: I missed the sarcasm tags the first time and I though.. what the heck is he talking about :mrgreen: as a side note, I bought one for the restart of the tank and he is fat and bold, unlike my freak of a yellow tang I had that died in the heater mishap. Real glad I decided to spend the extra money and get the Achilles.

For the tank do you want a lot of swimming or a lot of hiding? I would say 3 green chromis for some constant movement. I would stay away from damsels myself as once they are bigger they will terrorize the rest of the fish and you will have to rip apart the tank to get them out. Chromis are a damsel fish but a well natured one.

Steve

Tarolisol
12-18-2004, 01:54 AM
I tihnk i would like s alittle of both swimming and hiding but the hiding will be covered by either a mandarin in a long time or a firefish, What about tomato clowns whats the deal with these guys.

AJ_77
12-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Tomato clowns are goons, or they will be when they grow up... :confused: Just obnoxious, but that's just IMO.

A little 6-Line Wrasse would be nice. I transferred one into my tank this week - fantastic fish, lots of wimming and some hiding too. At first the YT damsel chased him relentlessly, but now after a few days the wrasse has the damsel backed into a hole and barely lets him out for a second. :mrgreen:

Beautiful but deadly... :cool:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-18-2004, 02:02 AM
The only damsels my friends & I find that still get along when older are the blue ones with yellow/orange tails. I have 3 in my 100g & they each mark a territory but they also hang out together sometimes. Just my experience. Stay away from blue velvets since they grow big & mean. Purple firefish would be nice but you'd have to check out about their suicidal tendencies. I also have a beautiful little cherub angel, deep royal blue with a bright yellow face & they're reef-safe & stay 2 inches or so. It both darts in your LR & swims out in the open.

Tarolisol
12-18-2004, 02:12 AM
hum so tomatos are mean hum have to think about that then, ok for a little list how does this sound NOT all the fish off course just seeing whats good and compatible

Tomato i guess mean
royal gramma
purple firefish
churb angel
true percs
six line ( but do these have to eat pods like mandarins)
anything else someone would suggest

AJ_77
12-18-2004, 02:18 AM
6-lines will eat anything meaty you put in, provided it's in small enough pieces - shaved or chopped mysis, etc... they also prowl the rocks continuously, more or less.

churb angel

what's a churb? :confused: cherub?? they're nice... and small.