PDA

View Full Version : Pump dilemma ? I would appreciate any ones in sites

babnika
09-09-2018, 04:45 PM
AquaMaxx Magnus VSB-12000 DC Water Pump by Sunpole?
Current USA eflux dc pump 6011?
Is vertex aquaristik working on a new dc pump see a section on there website for a greater than 200w & lesser than 200w dc pump ?
Would love to run 2 Neptune Cor 20 pumps just don't think I can get the flow out of them.
I'm hoping someone here might have experience with one of those pumps. Or knows of a more suitable pump . Open to accept ac or dc pump.i am having a 24"x24"x86" tank built with a downstairs sump looking at around 11 feet of head pressure.I want two of these one on each return 1 1/2" pipe all the way back to the tank any info would be greatly appreciated especially if it comes from first-hand experience.I know about the abyzz,& the red dragon.but I have a hard time justifying there hefty price tag . I could go with a single larger one of their pumps or I could have two of these and have enough left over for a two spares.i am presently running a Iwaki MD-70RLT ON MY 180G that I will be replacing .my wife finds the Iwaki too loud.

babnika
09-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Wanted to post this in main forum:question:

smokinreefer
09-11-2018, 12:41 AM
I'm using a single sunpole 12000 as a remote sump return pump.

Quiet? Yes, it is quiet.

I am using it on a bsmt sump, 1.5" return line which splits into 2 at the tank.

I have roughly 8' vertical and 14' horizontal plumbing and some 90s etc.

It suits my needs. I would prefer a bit more flow, but an abyzz is not in my budget.

DKoKoMan
09-11-2018, 02:27 AM
I’m using the Sunpole 9000 with 1 inch return lines. This pump has been awesome for my 305g tank. The pump is virtually quiet, has adjustments on the controller, feed mode and best of all a power button on the controller (no more unplugging the cord) :biggrin:

babnika
09-11-2018, 06:06 AM
I'm using a single sunpole 12000 as a remote sump return pump.

Quiet? Yes, it is quiet.

I am using it on a bsmt sump, 1.5" return line which splits into 2 at the tank.

I have roughly 8' vertical and 14' horizontal plumbing and some 90s etc.

It suits my needs. I would prefer a bit more flow, but an abyzz is not in my budget.
I'm leaning heavily towards two of the 12000 as I can dial them back if I have to. & enough of a savings to get a couple of spares compared to the abuzz do you know what flow your getting

babnika
09-11-2018, 06:14 AM
How long have you been running it for dose the quality seem good is there much heat buildup in the controller.

DKoKoMan
09-11-2018, 03:58 PM
You don’t want too much turnover in your sump. The larger pump is great if you have extensive horizontal and vertical runs.

babnika
09-12-2018, 05:42 AM
I have a150g sump now & will turn my 180g into my sump. Over 2/3 will be refugium running Triton system. Shooting for 5 times the display turnover. Think it best not to max out a motors rated capability. I like the flexibility of being able to ramp up the flow rate to be able deep clean my tank & remove suspended particles.

babnika
09-12-2018, 05:54 AM
I am away from my tank usually between 10 days possibly a few months this winter & by running two pumps at 50%then if one goes then I can bump up the other to 100%.
Until I can get home or have someone that I deem capable of swapping out my pump. I find larger motors to make less noise at 50% then being maxed out. Will be close to 11 feet of head presser.

babnika
09-12-2018, 05:59 AM
I also think having an oversized pump running at slower speeds will reduce heat of its components making it last longer. Just my thoughts I could be totally wrong though.

smokinreefer
09-15-2018, 02:51 AM
How long have you been running it for dose the quality seem good is there much heat buildup in the controller.

It's been running for less than 2 months at full throttle.

Backside of controller does get hot.
It does have fins on backside to aid with heat dissipation.

smokinreefer
09-15-2018, 02:53 AM
I also think having an oversized pump running at slower speeds will reduce heat of its components making it last longer. Just my thoughts I could be totally wrong though.

That seems to be best practice, running a pump at less than full output.