PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: siphon overflow and/ or return pump

Jack
01-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Hello, I find the 200$ for an overflow at JL is rediculous. I know basically know how they work, but not quite enough to make one. So if there is anyone out there that has one lying around or knows how to make one. I would pay you to make one for me. Same with the return pump, if you have one lying around, or you know how to make one (haha, just kidding) let me know cause I am really interested. I would like to get together a "sump package" with Troy's wet/dry he is selling. Thanks for your time.

ldzielak
01-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Jack,

You really have to come over this weekend, I have an overflow in my hands and have some designs too for new ones to build. I could help you build one if you like. Your going to need something big for your tank.

Jack
01-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Yeah Lee, that sounds good. Thanks a lot, I think we need to meet up this weekend. For sure It will happen. So email me when soon and let me know when you will be free on the weekend and I will come down for the day. Thanks for the message

titus
01-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Hello,

Just want to say that even though the material is no where near $200. The amount of work required to make something similar to what CPR has is quite a bit. I estimate it'd take a pro a good day and a few flawed units before having all the jigs built and assembly process straightened out.

Of course, the Lifreef variant would be simpler. Much simpler actually.

Jack
01-10-2002, 02:03 AM
Oh, I know Titus. I have tried building with friggen plexi-glass before. Oh... great fun images/smiles/icon_mad.gif Im sure the asking price is well worth its man hours put into it. The CPR overflow does have the special siphon tube, wow, but us as the consumers must look for the best deals to suit our walets. When you look at the principle of the siphon tube you wonder why JL offers only 200$ overflows. Jeez, I need two acrylic boxes, 1 ft. of tubing, bulkheads. I don't know, I find myself just rambling on here. Cya

titus
01-10-2002, 04:31 AM
Hello,

Maybe you can send me a drawing of what you need.

Silverfish
01-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Jack,

I have a Lifereef overflow on my tank and it works really good. I got it out of the US and it cost me about $200 to $250 or so. (can't remember) I did a lot of research before I bought it and found it regarded the best. (better than CPR anyway)

My tank was up and running at the time and I didn't want to tear it down to drill it, but looking back I sure wish I had before I put in corals etc.

I looked into building one myself, but to get the reliablity of the lifereef, you need the 1 1/8 u tube, and that is the tough part to make.

The other thing is, the lifereef box that sits in the tank is huge! 6"x8"x3"

If your tank is in a place where floods won't be a big deal, then go for the DIY (not saying that it will happen, just it may images/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

JMO, but I will never use tank that is not drilled in the future, even tho I have been lucky this far...knock on wood... images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

One_Divided
01-10-2002, 09:46 PM
I could never risk using one seeing as I have a recording studio in the same room =)

Gordoe
01-10-2002, 11:14 PM
I used 4" pvc to build my overflow.. If you want to increase your flow, you can easily build two.. less than $20 each.

If you need plans send me an email..

Gord