PDA

View Full Version : Corals at boarder crossing!!!

qwiksilver
12-15-2004, 02:08 AM
I am going to visit family in the South US for Christmas and New Years. I wanted to bring back some acros or other sps... anyone here tried to do that... and what would I need (certificates or such?). Thanks for any input.

Aquattro
12-15-2004, 04:18 AM
you'll need a cites permit from the country of origin, which will not be the US. Without such docs, you rsik fines, jail time, seizure of property, etc. If you could get these docs, they cost a lot.
You're better off buying acros at your LFS. Really.

kris_willard
12-15-2004, 04:31 AM
You can bring zoa's back with no permit. They are the only coral allowed across the border.

Delphinus
12-15-2004, 05:31 AM
You can bring zoa's back with no permit. They are the only coral allowed across the border.

A lot of softeys aren't on CITES. Just to be sure after reading your post I tried to look up a few of the genus's (genuses? what is the plural of genus? genii????) in the zoanthidea order/family and none of them came up. This means that theoretically indeed no permit should be needed for zoanthids.

but .... (you had to know there was a "but" coming .. )

If the zoanthids are attached to live rock then unfortunately the live rock itself is covered by CITES.

I'm not certain, but I think it's OK as long as it's on an aragonite frag plug (clearly man-made). Probably best to double check that before trying it though ..

qwiksilver
12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the replies all. Have a good Christmas and New Years!

Ryan
12-17-2004, 11:28 PM
you can just do what I do when i buy fish and bring them across the boarder. just put them in the trunk before you hit the boardere act cool then take them back to the cab do the same with fire works....i mean you should get the proper authorization like I do.

Delphinus
12-17-2004, 11:35 PM
The trunk! I'm sure border guards would NEVER think to check there. !!

Oh nuts! Now that we've talked about it online, we've tipped them off! Curses! Now the secret is out.

PS. In all seriousness, I think it's OK to carry fish over the border. As long as the fish is not listed on CITES.

wrassehole
12-18-2004, 01:50 AM
[quote="Delphinus"]The trunk! I'm sure border guards would NEVER think to check there. !!

Oh nuts! Now that we've talked about it online, we've tipped them off! Curses! Now the secret is out.

OMG LMFAO!!!!!