PDA

View Full Version : Laminating acrylic

Richer
12-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Is it possible to laminate sheets of acrylic together? I was given a couple sheets of scratched up acrylic, but they are on the thin side. If I glue them together will that increase the acrylic's strength?

-Rich

Aquattro
12-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I'd say no. The two sides will expand and contract at differnt rates than the glue you bond them with and will cause crazing and eventual failure. For the cost of the proper thickness, don't waste your time.

Richer
12-15-2004, 04:49 AM
I thought that since acrylic glue causes the acrylic to melt into each other that it would in essence create one sheet of acrylic, but I guess thats not the case. Thanks for the info.

-Rich

snaggle
12-15-2004, 05:22 AM
I saw a thing on tv once about how that made a hudge wall tank in some public aquaium out of like 8 peaces and glued them together I dont know if there is special gule they used. but is has been done. cant tell you hoe though. :confused:

sorry I cant help more
Brad

StirCrazy
12-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Yes you can laminat two sheets togeather. it is hard to get a bubble free joint unless you are carefull. once fused expansion won't be a problem as it is the same material with the same expansion properties

Steve

Richer
12-16-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the response Steve!

I'm not worried about bubbles, the stuff is going towards a skimmer anyways. Should I just use weld-on glue to glue the two sheets together? If so, what kind of weld-on? If not, what else should I get?

-Rich

Dez
12-16-2004, 05:06 AM
I've done it before... take a baking tray and pour weldon 3 or 4 in it ( a thin layer) then you can put a few toothpicks flat so the acrylic is resting on them in the weld on. Let it soak for about 30 seconds or so, this softens the acrylic, then put em together.

des

Tarolisol
12-16-2004, 05:42 AM
I would suggest you go to a plastics shop and ask them what glue to suggest. In the place in calgary they say they never use weld on they use a wierd chemical i cant remember the name, its very liquidy like water and melts the two together in seconds.

StirCrazy
12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
I would suggest you go to a plastics shop and ask them what glue to suggest. In the place in calgary they say they never use weld on they use a wierd chemical i cant remember the name, its very liquidy like water and melts the two together in seconds.

ya exactly the same thing as weld on 3 but not a brand name.. weldon 4 is the same with a tiny thickening agent.

the only reason they shop doesent use weldon 3 is they buy the raw chemical in bulk for a lot cheaper.

Steve

IslandReefer
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
also called dichloromethane or methylene chloride
by adding thickening agents (acrylic?) Weldon makes its various kinds..

Tarolisol
12-16-2004, 03:50 PM

ya exactly the same thing as weld on 3 but not a brand name.. weldon 4 is the same with a tiny thickening agent.

the only reason they shop doesent use weldon 3 is they buy the raw chemical in bulk for a lot cheaper.

Steve

Make sense

titus
12-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Hello,

It is possible, as mentioned, to laminate. However, I do not think it is worthwhile to do so for the average person or even professional fabricators in terms of time, effort, and cost. From what I know, it is only done in commercial settings. But hey if you can do it, good for you! :biggrin:

Titus

StirCrazy
12-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Titus, he got the plastic for free, the 5 bucks for the weldon 4 makes it worth it :mrgreen:

Steve