PDA

View Full Version : What to upgrade my Skimmer

Jason McK
12-14-2004, 08:15 PM
I have been running a Red Sea Berlin Classic on my 40G and it's just not cutting it. Space is limited so I would like to stick with a hang-on type or one that can be run external under the stand with a 20G sump.

I just don't know what is out there. Could anyone drop some names so I could research what would be best for my needs?

Thanks
Jason

bluetang
12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Remora Pro...

G1GY
12-14-2004, 11:11 PM
The Remora (not pro) would be more than enough for a 40 gallon tank. About a hundred bucks cheaper than the pro. :smile:

Richer
12-14-2004, 11:21 PM
The bigger the better, another vote for a Remora Pro.

-Rich

bluetang
12-15-2004, 12:41 AM
I've always felt that you can never skim too much. The pro also leaves you with the option to upgrade to a larger tank and not worry about you skimmer.
The downside however, is the fact that you have to put a Mag3 pump into your tank. On a buddy of mine's tank we put a longer hose off the pump to the skimmer and dropped it in behind his live rock. You can hardly tell it is there.
Rob

Fish
12-15-2004, 05:04 AM
I used to own a Remora Pro and it was the best skimmer ever! I had to sell it because my stand is too short for it to fit in my sump but I still think about it often...(sigh)
You also need to face the reality that one day you will get a bigger tank :razz: . Buying it now will save you a lot of money later. Another vote for the Pro.

- Chad

Jason McK
12-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks Everyone. I will check it out. Does anyone know were the Remora Pro is sold in Vancouver?

BTW I also have a 75G it has a OE custom skimmer made by Jack the works Great.

J

bluetang
12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
My buddy got his at JL's

DiscusZ
12-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Again another vote for the Remora Pro. I got mine from JL.. I love this skimmer

Jim

Old Guy
12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I have the remora and my vote is don't waste your money. Go right to the pro.

Fish
12-16-2004, 02:02 AM
when i ordered mine, the best price i found was at mops.ca. don't know how it compares now though...

- Chad

G1GY
12-16-2004, 02:36 AM
I have the remora and my vote is don't waste your money. Go right to the pro.

The Remora skims very well for the money. So how can you say "Don't waste your money."? :rolleyes:

Might not be capable of skimming as much as the pro, but very good bang for the buck just the same.

Old Guy
12-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I have a few different skimmers which are all hang on and I can say through experience that the remora is a so-so. One step up from my sea clown. :rolleyes: It would take 2 months to fill the cup. Not very productive in my case. FYI I would never buy another.

G1GY
12-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I have a few different skimmers which are all hang on and I can say through experience that the remora is a so-so. One step up from my sea clown. :rolleyes: It would take 2 months to fill the cup. Not very productive in my case. FYI I would never buy another.

That's realy strange. You must have got a dud seeing as I empty my Remora cup every 2 days. :rolleyes:

Also if you take a good look around, you'll find very few people that have anything but good to say about this little skimmer.

Scales
12-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Have you considered modifying your exisiting skimmer?

I upgraded my Red Sea Berlin to a MAG 9.5 pump and a Kent Venturi (controlled with a needle valve from Home Depot). This thing pulled out an amazing amount of crud from my system (90g + 50g + 33g refugium on a common sump) and I was very happy with it...I upgraded to Euroreef recently as I am planning to get a larger tank soon...

Not having ever used a Remora, I am unable to compare performance to my modified RSB...

Jason McK
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I hate to be a pain Scales but do you have a pic of your set up. I have heard of the Kent Venturi before but am having a hard time getting my head around it? You place it between the pump and the intake of the skimmer? Do you remove the Red sea injector cone?

Thanks for the suggestion I will go for it if I can figure it out

J

Scales
12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have a picture...it is a simple modification and I figured it out by searching ReefCentral...pump to venturi to skimmer...the Mag drive has a threaded outlet, some plumbing of whatever configuration you need for your set-up, threaded inlet on the skimmer...I had the newer model which is a simpler conversion from older models that had some form of venturi in the base of the skimmer (you apparently have to take this "stock venturi" out for the modification to work)...

I ran a long piece of tube from the venturi and hung it outside my sump...used a needle valve from Home Depot to control the amount of air (important or the skimmer overflows). I also put a ball valve between the pump and venturi, but found it ran wide open...not sure if it is necessary....but then again, I did not plumb in a straight line because of space concerns...to fit in my sump, I had a wacky set-up that involved several 90 degree angles which will likely have reduced the output of the pump...

This skimmer worked great when modified...when I move my corals from the 90g to a larger tank, I will convert the 90 to a FOWLR and again use this skimmer which is currently stored in my garage...you are welcome to come by and inspect the modified version...