PDA

View Full Version : Goby or Clown? ID please.

Chin_Lee
12-14-2004, 04:08 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/236141_4102.jpg

Bought this fella from Apets this morning and owner said it was a fire clown goby. Can't find anything on the internet re: a fire clown goby. Seahorse Fanatic came by and believes its a Cinnamon Clown without the white stripe. But it behaves like a goby - it sits on the sand and propels itself around like a clown goby or mandarin goby. Its orangy-red with a black mark on the back. Any ideas?
Its sitting in my refuge right now because I want to test putting a few different types of acros in there to see if it will eat their polyps. My last brown gobies I had to give away and Props had to dismantle his entire tank to get rid of his brown goby cuz it was mowing down his acro :eek:

christyf5
12-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Looks like a clownfish to me. Its hard to tell as the pic is a bit blurry. But fishbase has a pretty close picture.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=11840&genusname=Amphiprion&speciesname=ephippium

Christy :)

AJ_77
12-14-2004, 04:33 AM
Good call, Christy! That is so close to the photo you found, it's not funny. :smile:

christyf5
12-14-2004, 04:40 AM
I know, I was comparing the two. I thought maybe he was testing us or something :razz:

Christy :)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Trusting the LFS to tell you the truth is sometimes a risky thing, eh? Nice looking fish but not very "clown goby" looking. Sorry Chin, I think you've been had. Let's go give the owner a ticket or something.

Quinn
12-14-2004, 06:01 AM
That's just about the worst mislabeling on the part of an LFS I've ever heard of.

Chin_Lee
12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks Christy.... wow that pic is almost identical to mine :mrgreen:

Yeah that was pretty sad labelling and even sadder that I fell for it.

Does anybody know if it will co-exist with two other Clarkii clowns in my tank? I have two anenomes that it would saddle up to quick nicely.

danny zubot
12-14-2004, 03:54 PM
It could be hit or miss Chin, I had 1 clarkii and 1 tomato that lived together in harmony for a year, but two clarkii could be trouble.

Ryan
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
This is a Red Saddleback Clown. It is part of the Tomato Clown complex. It is the only clown that lacks striping. they do however have a white headband that presists during its juvenile life. Red Saddlebacks are yellowish orange with a mahogany coloured dot that develops on the fishes flank as it maturs. Eventually it will cover the tail and the dorsal fin area. Red Saddleback are hardy and bold but they are unique among clownfish in their nearly complete intolerance to being treated with copper medication. All this was taken out of Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson.If it is bigger than the other 2 clarkiis and it stays biger than the clarkiis it should be okay. Also make sure there is lots of hiding spots for it. You say it just skurry's around the bottom could be a swm bladder problem.