PDA

View Full Version : mantis shrimp

tomini
12-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone a friend of mine has a problem with a clicking noise and a huge loss in his cleaning crew
he suspects a mantis shrimp and im wondering if anyof you knew how to get rid of them??
the mantis would be up for grabs (free) if he caught it
taking the rock out is out of the question since his structure is glued and are made of very large pieces with corals attached
any help is greatly appreciated

snaggle
12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
you can try and find out where it is hiding then fish it out with some food and net it. I have seen it work it takes time though.

Brad

AJ_77
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
I think a few people have tackled this problem before. Try the Search function at left, using the terms "mantis" or "mantis AND trap" or "mantis AND shrimp" and see if those threads come up. They should help you plan something.

And tell your friend Good Luck! Smart little critter, if it is one...

danny zubot
12-13-2004, 03:47 PM
I'd definatley go with some sort of trap, to reduce the risk of injury to yourself. Even If its not a big mantis they can still hurt you bad if they clip you. I saw one at Big Al's that could probly take your hand off! :eek:

tomini
12-15-2004, 12:55 AM
made a bottle trap hope this works
*crossing fingers*

Fish
01-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi, just wondering what ever happened. Was it a mantis? Do you still have it?

- Chad

tomini
01-19-2005, 02:05 AM
it was a mantis and it took a week of taking out the trap every morning and resenting it at night till i got the little bugger.
I let him him go to someone on this board :biggrin: