PDA

View Full Version : Hairline crack in newish 60-gallon Marineland cube tank

Megalodon
05-17-2018, 11:46 PM
I was cleaning the glass and found something I'm not used to seeing... a little saltcreep around a fine vertical line near the back right corner of my 60-gallon Marineland rimless cube tank. I cleaned it off and found a vertical hairline crack starting and beginning at the edge of the right-side pane of the glass. The two panes of glass aren't completely flush, either. It's flush at the top but then the back panel regresses to maybe half a mm at the bottom.

More facts:

- It's only two-years old.
- It's on the Marineland oak stand that it came with.
- It's on an entirely level surface.
- Nothing has bumped it.
- There is no rock resting against it.
- There is no wave-maker.
- It wasn't damaged during shipping.
- It wasn't there before.

I'm waiting to hear back from the store. They're contacting the supplier for next steps but in the meantime I'm really stressing out about it. This is bad, right? Should I try patching it with a piece of glass and silicone on the outside to temporarily strengthen it? Should I lower the water level to reduce the stress on the glass? If this thing busts we're probably looking at a $12,000 insurance claim here as I'm on the second floor of a condo.

Here is a photo (should be rotated 90 degrees left)...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16448&stc=1&d=1526600121

dave_C
05-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Doesn't look like a crack to me, looks more like a scratch

cracks will always start from the edge of the glass and from the picture i don't see that at all

thanks Dave

Myka
05-18-2018, 03:12 AM
Can you see that the crack goes all the way through the glass? Can you catch that on your camera?

If it really is a crack and not a scratch like Dave says, I'd be emptying the tank pronto. Second floor of a condo - your insurance company would be lucky if it was only $12,000.

604reefer
05-18-2018, 05:05 PM
it looks kind of like there is some sand or debris on the glass just to the right side of where both scratches start, which may have caused the glass to get scratched when wiping or cleaning.

Megalodon
05-25-2018, 05:51 AM
I think you might be right; it's just a scratch. I apologize for over-reacting.

604reefer
05-25-2018, 06:00 AM
I think you might be right; it's just a scratch. I apologize for over-reacting.

With all of the time and money we have invested in this hobby I wouldn’t call it an over reaction, I’d be concerned at first too.