PDA

View Full Version : LF Mandarin (eating frozen)

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-04-2018, 05:44 PM
I know, I know... but thought I would ask if anyone knows of a shop that usually has them eating?

F.H
05-05-2018, 09:27 AM
A shop wouldn't usually have them eating, it takes training to get them onto it, and even that is not at 100% success rate.

Biota Aquariums in Florida has actually succeeded in captive bred mandarin fish, which grow up eating live and frozen food. That would be your best bet, but they are under very high demand and get sold out very quickly, so tracking one down is another story. You could look into that.

I would also be interested in one, but I haven't gotten around to speaking to Canadian LFS about it (I have low hopes of succeeding in that venture). You might have better luck asking the fish store in bellingham/seattle and bring one across the border, but once again, I have no experience in this matter.

janh
05-05-2018, 04:32 PM
I never had any trouble getting my mandarin to eat frozen. I started with bloodworms and would put a couple on the rocks where he was hanging out, soon enough he would go to that rock at feeding time. I also raise brine shrimp and squirt a bunch into the rock late at night, he ate them as well. Still need pods, but this helps guarantee he gets enough to eat.

Vmpgrl
05-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Ocean creation in calgary has some that eat frozen. That’s where I got mine from.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone, found one at Pacific Aquatics in Surrey that is eating frozen