PDA

View Full Version : Sick zoos??

Murminator
12-12-2004, 07:45 PM
I have had 2 stes of zoos for about 3 weeks I had 1 up high and 1 on the sand. The 1 up high was doing good till about 4-5 days ago then they stopped opening, if they did open they over opened. The ones on the sand are doing perfect, so I moved these ones down to the sand yesterday no change. It looks like these were fragged a few times and the empty polyps are home to a family of brittle stars. There is also a peice of xenia grown on 1 of the polyps that I will remove when they are better. Could any of these be the demise of the zoos??
All suggestions welcome :cool:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1305sick_zoos.jpg

What they looked like before
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1305green_zoos.jpg

Sorry for the crummy pics

mr_alberta
12-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Murray,

What type of flow do you have going over them? These particular ones like less flow. Also, they were on the bottom of my friends 29G lit by 2x65W 10000K bulbs. What was the last thing you did before they stopped openning up?

Murminator
12-13-2004, 02:08 AM
They were always kinda on the edge of the flow but they seemed to enjoy it. I have faithful doing 2gal weekly water changes, just did my tests 2 hrs ago and all the vital signs were perfect :confused:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Try target feeding them. I feed my zoos with a mix of frozen mysis, B.S. & blood worms & they've doubled in number in 2 months. Usually I squirt in the dregs after feeding the larger stuff to my fish & anemones & carpet brain. Just a thought.

Murminator
12-24-2004, 01:46 AM
Still no change???? They look exactly the same today as they did 3 weeks ago no change none have open none have closed :sad: When do you know they are dead???

Just did vital signs everything still perfect :confused:

Bob I
12-24-2004, 03:19 AM
I had some purple zoanthids I got from Teevee. They did very well for awhile. Then they stopped opening up, and just degenerated. I tried moving them to another tank, but it did not help. They just slowly disappeared. I have a number of other zoanthids in the same tank, and they were not affected :sad:

IslandReefer
12-24-2004, 07:35 AM
After my "great death" some of my zoos didn't open for over a month and are just fine now. I think it depends on the extent and severety of the problem,ie in this case light stress maybe? Those polyps seem to want to open ...chin up, tis the season of miracles
BTW..I have those brittle stars and zenia neither seem to bother my zoos.
Merry Xmas