PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

gboots
10-24-2001, 08:15 PM
Hello eveyone,
I'm in the prosess of changing a 33g from fresh to a reef tank. I just got a 50lb box of live rock from J&L thisafternoon(looks great!). Just wondering what protein skimmer I should go with images/smiles/icon_confused.gif. The 2 I'm looking at are the Red Sea Prism and the Back Pak Reef. No sump so i'm going with a hang on model.

Thanks and wish me luck,
Glen

P.S. Any other helpfull hints welcomed images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

reefboy22
10-24-2001, 08:24 PM
hi ive had good luck with the back pack upgaded to bigger tank and not using it no more if u wana buy it ill sell it for 125 if u can get it oer to your place i just got a new pump not that long before i got a 135 and went all out im in abbotsford so if u go to j.l or do they mail let me know if ure intrested and ill talk to u later.

p.s have fun with the salt water i love it so much more interesting

Troy F
10-24-2001, 09:58 PM
Glen have a look at Precision Marine's Hang On.

DJ88
10-24-2001, 11:38 PM
I agree with Troy..

The PM HOT 1 is a great skimmer.. I made a few and used tehm on everything up to and including a 90 gallon. I woudln't recommend using it on something that big as a 90 reef but they are great on 33 gallon tank. I ahd two running..

HTH

cvrle1
10-25-2001, 01:55 AM
I'm currently using a Red sea prism on my 33 gallon and I can say I'm very satisfyed with it. It is cheapest of the good kinds and for a 33 gallon it does the great job. Don't try it on anything larger though

images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

reefburnaby
10-25-2001, 09:51 AM
To play it safe, PM HOT-1. You can use a bakpak, but I have heard users were having some problems with it (like air bubbles in the display tank). I have heard great success stories with both Prism and bakpak, but I think the HOT-1 is a better skimmer overall.

- Victor.

Silverfish
10-25-2001, 10:06 PM
IMVHO the SeaClone is your best bet for quality and functionality. Just kidding! if you want a really bgood skimmer go for the HOT-1. I have seen them in action on DJ88's tanks and they kick but. They may seem a bit pricey, but for what you get you will be happy. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif JMO Just curious , what type of system are you setting up? DSB? sump? halide lighting? refugium?

gboots
10-26-2001, 09:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I ended up going for the prism. It was the right price @the right time. I had the rock and needed the the skimmer asap.

The tank is a 33 gal. prizm skimmer, 3 power heads for circulation and 2 96watt quad pc's. Each quad has 2 10,000k and 2 ultra actinics.
50 lbs of live rock. No sump or refugium. I got the lights from someone who is opening a new store in Victoria. Should be open the end of Nov.

Silverfish
10-27-2001, 12:18 AM
New store!? What kind of store? Or are you allowed to say... images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

gboots
10-27-2001, 01:03 PM
D'ont know if I can say who's store or where it is images/smiles/icon_confused.gif but It will be Aquatic only, i think. Fresh and salt water. It will carry lots of species not usually available on the island images/smiles/icon_smile.gif. It'll be a casual atmosphere, coffee's always sort of come in look at fish, buy one or just hang out a look around. I think there'll be 10 90gl sw tanks, some divided into 2 or 3 sections. 2 135 gl sw and probably 10 90gl fw. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll post more info when I find out If I can or not.

Silverfish
10-27-2001, 01:19 PM
Sounds good to me! I was starting to get frustrated with the lack of anything sw in this town and Van is soo far away! Keep us posted, thanks, Bruce.

One_Divided
10-27-2001, 06:37 PM
I heard mike (that used to work at safari) is opening up a store.. could be him..

gboots
10-27-2001, 06:44 PM
maybe it is images/smiles/icon_confused.gif, maybe it isn't images/smiles/icon_confused.gif. Guess you'll just have to wait and see images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Aquattro
10-27-2001, 11:16 PM
Hopefully soon. I hear they will open by Nov 15. I think we should all make an effort to support them when they open. As it is now, victoria has nothing!