PDA

View Full Version : Zoa's try and kill a canadian family...

Animal-Chin
04-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Yikes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/toxic-coral-blamed-for-sickening-gatineau-family-1.4633810

titus
04-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Hello

Wow scary.

Titus

corpusse
04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Hello

Wow scary.

Titus

It's really not. Unless he has some weird morph that no one has ever had there is some sort of user error here. My guess is he prepared food after crushing some zoas or palys and didn't wash his hands.

Or there was something boiled after moving the tank. ect. This is the second recent case but realistically this happens less than once a year out of millions of hobbyists. The article quotes the owner of fragbox spending hours a day working with zoas and never having an issue. I can say I've fragged 100s over the last 10+ years including the more toxic grandis or button polyps but this guy and the 100s of other frag shops have fragged tens of thousands without issue.

You should take some precautions but realistically if you're not eating when fragging you're going to be okay. Maybe everyone doesn't know about palytoxin but everyone knows marine life comes from the ocean and maybe boiling it or adding something it would never be exposed to isn't the best idea without some research first.

People also bring BBQ's in when the power goes out...