PDA

View Full Version : hair algae

tomini
12-12-2004, 06:56 AM
hi everyone i recently got hit by a major hair algae problem
my parameters seem fine, i do a 5% w/c everyweekend on my 75 gal with r/o from safeway
and i have my pc's on for 12 hours a day
everything used to be fine for a year or so and now i cant seem to stop the growth ive even tried taking the rock out and scrubbing :confused:
i only have 2 clowns a mandarin, and a goby in there with some various inverts
what can the problem be???
any help you guys can give will be much appreciated

AJ_77
12-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi and welcome to the board! If your lights have shifted spectrum in the year you've had them, they could contribute to your algae problem. Just one possible factor, there's also a thread in the Reefs forum now asking these same questions.

Do you have more details regarding your system - filtration, skimmer, circulation, bioload, rock, substrate, etc?

Canadian Man
12-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Also what's your snail/hermit crab population like?

G1GY
12-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Maybe cut the photo period down by a couple of hours until it's under control.

tomini
12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
ive tried cutting the photo period by a few hours a day and its done nothing, i have a aqua C remora skimmer and an ehiem canister filter and i run carbon i have changed the bulbs recently
still clueless
thanks for the help so far though

Buccaneer
12-12-2004, 10:46 PM
I have 2 snails and no hermit crabs in a 270G and previously in a 300G and never had a hair algae problem ... too many nutrients and detritus buildup has always been my guess as far as hair algae goes ... my cousin in JA had a outdoor saltwater pond and huge hair algae problems and he had natural sunlight so I am disinclined to think spectrum alone contributed to it although it may be a contributing factor. The only nuissance algae I have had is valonia and I have no clue how I got it but it never got to plague proportions ( would find one behind a rock or something if I was fooling around in the tank :rolleyes: )

danny zubot
12-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Maybe you can rent Albert's sea hare after its done cleaning up may hair algea problem. :biggrin:

I have a question for you, do you use RO water or conditioned tap water? I have a theory about Calgary water in the winter and PO4 levels.

DiscusZ
12-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Danny ,

You can request a water faq from the City, there Seems to be more of a difference during the Spring due to the run off I have an old copy around somewhere I should dig it up.

Canadian Man
12-14-2004, 02:00 AM
You can't forget the ammount of algae eating fish you have Steve.
That would/could account for a huge diffrence in his tank compared to yours.

But Tomini doesn't like to tell us how many he has anyway :razz:

danny zubot
12-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Tomini said: even tried taking the rock out and scrubbing
I've heard that this can actually spread the algae diatoms around. :question:

tomini
12-15-2004, 12:55 AM
thanks for all the help everyone
im going to try a new set of bulbs and a few water changes