PDA

View Full Version : powerheads,6'tank 1 side

e46er
03-24-2018, 04:37 PM
So in my new build my tank is visible from 3 sides and would like to keep the powerheads on the "wall" side. It will be SPS but super open concept. will 2 MP40s do it from 1 side? i figure my rock structures will be on the 4 feet closest to the wall and the last 2 feet farthest from powerheads will be open for the most part.
I always said i could never bring myself to spend $500 on a powerhead but here I am.
I had a couple jaebo gyres before and I was happy with them but after the tank blew out I 1/2 assed cleaned them and threw them all into the empty tank and stand and now a year later they dont work. corrosion got them:(

any other powerheads you guys think would be able to do it from just the end of a 6' tank? tank location pics
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16355&stc=1&d=1521909369
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16354&stc=1&d=1521909369

Scythanith
03-24-2018, 07:54 PM
Good chance you will have some high flow growth patterns in the SPS closest to the powerheads on the wall side. May stunt or push their growth more into the middle of the tank but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Depending on how you're rockwork is situated you may be able to run them in an opposing pattern to help with detritus. This is a good little read from WWC on their use of ecotech products for flow.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/World_Wide_Corals_CoralLab.pdf

Myka
03-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Yeah there will be odd growth patterns for sure. That would drive me nuts, but you might not mind. You re also going to have detritus collecting at the far end. Honestly, the o my way that I think is a "good" way to do a peninsula-style tank is by using a closed loop so you can get flow I'm all over without using powerheads at all. That is it's own bag of worms though.

gregzz4
03-25-2018, 02:44 AM
You are going to have problems with flow in your peninsula.
There's nothing you can do about it regardless of where you place your pumps on the opposite end of your tank. It's just the way it is with these kind of tanks.
No matter what any of us tells you differently, you are going to need to fix it yourself.

e46er
03-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Yeah there will be odd growth patterns for sure. That would drive me nuts, but you might not mind. You re also going to have detritus collecting at the far end. Honestly, the o my way that I think is a "good" way to do a peninsula-style tank is by using a closed loop so you can get flow I'm all over without using powerheads at all. That is it's own bag of worms though.
odd growth patterns are unique and interesting- im totally OK with that.
i ran a closed loop on my first and 2nd tanks not really a huge fan.

You are going to have problems with flow in your peninsula.
There's nothing you can do about it regardless of where you place your pumps on the opposite end of your tank. It's just the way it is with these kind of tanks.
No matter what any of us tells you differently, you are going to need to fix it yourself.

this is what I figured but was hoping it wasn't true.
i guess i can either get say a 3rd MP40 and keep it fairly low and ill only see say 6-8" of cable until it hits the handrail and run it under or I can get a gyre style and keep it high running cable in the canopy.

Im hoping with a super open aquascape I can get away with 2- MP40s. I plumbed it todayas far as I could anyways. my wholesaler is an idiot and shorted me a few things but ill grab them monday and hopefully I can have water in it mid week or so.

shrimp
03-25-2018, 02:50 PM
If you are going bare bottom, 2 mp40 at the one side and one mp40 at the far side, bottom glass shooting up.

e46er
03-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Im not a bare bottom fan. I tried it once for 6 months and although the benefits were fantastic I couldn't get around the look of it.
I also pulled out 1 of the overflows so theres a few holes in the bottom pane with bulkheads so they need to be covered.
I had black sand in my 250 and really really liked the look. this tank will also have black sand.

3- MP40s.........I better go back to work!!

mike31154
04-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I can vouch for longevity of MP40S. Mine have been running many years. An update or 2 & some wet side parts replacements is all they've needed. Initial cost is tough to justify but it's been worth it for me.

DKoKoMan
04-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I’m in the same boat for my new tank. I will have two MP40’s on the side against the wall and was planning on having a Maxspect gyre XF250 on the other side (up high). My wife and I are trying to minimize the equipment on the other side as it faces the couch and offers a good view.

Ryan
04-03-2018, 12:19 AM
MP40s won’t push 6 feet. If it were me I would 2 Jecod CP-55 vertically blowing down the 2 side walls, those will move the whole tank. You can add from there though you may want to drill for some closed loops. You also going to have to be careful of any sps growth that starts to grow into the path of water, those pumps will blow flesh off of anything within a foot.

Myka
04-03-2018, 02:59 PM
I agree that MP40s limited to one end won't be sufficient for 6 feet. An MP60 and an MP40 would be a better option ime.

If you are going bare bottom, 2 mp40 at the one side and one mp40 at the far side, bottom glass shooting up.That is a great idea that I've not considered myself before. Even with sand, you could use a cheap magnet mount pump like a Jebao or Koralia and mount it on the bottom. I say cheap because it would definitely be sucking sand in often and you'd need to replace it once every year or two I'd bet.