PDA

View Full Version : Green wrasse and shrimps?

chrisphungg
03-23-2018, 01:46 AM
Hi, I'm looking to get a green fish for my aquarium and I love the pastel green that the green wrasse has. The only problem I have is I have close 13 mixed shrimps in the tank(red fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimps). Does anyone have experience with green wrasse or any luck with keeping them with shrimp? If keeping the green wrasse is a bad idea, does anyone else have a suggestion for a green fish that isn't a green chromis?

gregzz4
03-23-2018, 03:52 AM
I have a male Melanurus wrasse with both a fire and cleaner shrimp.
He will eat newly introduced peppermint shrimp and small hermits, but is OK otherwise.
He also eats fire worms, micro brittle stars, and anything else he can get at. Good for keeping populations down.
I've had him for maybe 5 years in a 75g and he's about 4" now at most.
Needs lots of rock work to 'check over' for food and a sand bed for sleeping.
Eats flake, pellets, frozen, nori, spirulina pellets and wafers ... pretty much anything that goes in the tank.
I currently have him with a starry blenny, coral beauty, 2 fairy wrasses, a flasher wrasse, a pj cardinal, a yellow tang and a springer's dottyback.
He shares control of the tank with the tang without fighting with it.
Last week I saw the melanurus put the coral beauty in it's place by pecking/poking against it's side and the cb kept showing it's side in submission, but there was no damage. Now the cb has stopped picking on my flasher wrasse :smile:

Frogger
03-23-2018, 06:11 AM
Don't mean to hijack the post but Greg how is the melanarus with snails. I have one in quarantine for over 3 months but I am hesitant about putting her in the reef because I don't want her eating the snails.

gregzz4
03-23-2018, 01:37 PM
If it can get at it, it will eat it, whatever it is. Mine tries to eat trochus snails but can't get at them

dino
03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
are we talking green Coris Wrasse? because mine leaves all snails and peppermint shrimp alone

chrisphungg
03-26-2018, 11:47 PM
Yes the question was regarding a green coris wrasse. I was thinking of adding one into my tank but afraid of them bullying my shrimps. Thanks for your input everyone.