PDA

View Full Version : What do you cut coral with?

604reefer
03-21-2018, 11:18 PM
I've been using bone cutters to cut the bottom off of frag plugs and monti-cap pieces but it just seems to break everywhere and in unknown sizes.

Birthday is coming up, family wants ideas. Anyone using a dremel with a diamond tip blade? Thinking I want one to cut some torch/hammer heads off... Read this might be a good solution when you don't have space/practicality for a diamond band saw. Would a dremel work for encrusting monti too?

Thoughts or experiences with what you use?

albert_dao
03-22-2018, 12:17 AM
Best tool is a mini bandsaw like the gryphon. It uses a diamond abrasive blade that is kept clean/cool with a water reservoir.

604reefer
03-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Best tool is a mini bandsaw like the gryphon. It uses a diamond abrasive blade that is kept clean/cool with a water reservoir.

I would love one of those but from a space and frequency of use (don’t make many cuts) point of view it’s overkill for me.

Myka
03-22-2018, 01:30 AM
If you don't want a Gryphon, then Canadian Tire makes a crappy little tile saw with a diamond blade an a water reservoir. It works well for straight cuts. I think regular price is $100 and it goes on sale for $50???

kyl
03-22-2018, 02:12 AM
I've been using bone cutters to cut the bottom off of frag plugs and monti-cap pieces but it just seems to break everywhere and in unknown sizes.

Birthday is coming up, family wants ideas. Anyone using a dremel with a diamond tip blade? Thinking I want one to cut some torch/hammer heads off... Read this might be a good solution when you don't have space/practicality for a diamond band saw. Would a dremel work for encrusting monti too?

Thoughts or experiences with what you use?

Dremel just seems to make a huge mess regardless of the bit. If you're able to do it in some type of enclosure, that would probably work well. Using it in a room though, you're going to have splatter everywhere.

Myka
03-22-2018, 05:00 AM
Yeah Dremel sucks...

604reefer
03-22-2018, 05:49 AM
Dremel just seems to make a huge mess regardless of the bit. If you're able to do it in some type of enclosure, that would probably work well. Using it in a room though, you're going to have splatter everywhere.

That's a good point, I'd be doing it on the kitchen table :lol:

If you don't want a Gryphon, then Canadian Tire makes a crappy little tile saw with a diamond blade an a water reservoir. It works well for straight cuts. I think regular price is $100 and it goes on sale for $50???

Ooooh, did not know you could use a crappy tire tile saw. I think it's this one right now on sale for 59.99? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/qep-torque-master-xt-portable-wet-tile-saw-4-in-0556707p.html#srp

Do you use salt water in the reservoir and then rinse it all down with fresh after?

604reefer
03-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Do you use salt water in the reservoir and then rinse it all down with fresh after?

Yeah, that was dumb, lol :noidea:. I just picked one up and it's obv to use fresh... can you tell I'm not a handyman.