PDA

View Full Version : Do cucumbers self-multiply?

Willito
12-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I have a tiger tail that went dormant for about a month and then re-appeared as two seperate ones. They are both roughly the same size ( 8"). I know I only ever placed one cucumber in the tank so I am puzzled as to where the second one came from. Any idea.

christyf5
12-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Mine did that too. I bought one and then a few months later I saw one end on one side of the tank and the other end about 2.5 ft away. I was skeptical that they got that long. Then one night I searched it out with my flashlight and there were actually two. I checked and sea cukes can reproduce both sexually and asexually. In our cases, they did it asexually by basically cutting itself into two sea cukes and then regenerating any missing bits.

Christy :)

Willito
12-11-2004, 04:49 PM
So who said reefing wasn't a good investment. Christy, you and I can potentially have a cucumber factory here if they keep up. Thanks for confirming that. :biggrin:

christyf5
12-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Well if you can't find any takers at least they're good with garlic butter :wink:

Willito
12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I love the tast of 'em, quite a delicacy.

MitchM
12-11-2004, 06:03 PM
:eek:

Mitch

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Actually, my wife Irene makes an awesome sea cucumber soup. What can I say, we're Chinese Malaysians so throw it into the pot/wok & grab the chopsticks :biggrin: Everything tastes better with chili sauce :lol:

Canadian Man
12-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I was recently at a vietnamese/chinese wedding and one of the most expensive courses of the dinner was sea cucumber.

Yea, I couln't even imagine eating it. Something that injests sand and craps out clean sand. Not for me! :confused:

christyf5
12-11-2004, 07:33 PM
I guess you've never eaten most shellfish then eh? :razz:

StirCrazy
12-11-2004, 08:36 PM
I was recently at a vietnamese/chinese wedding and one of the most expensive courses of the dinner was sea cucumber.

Yea, I couln't even imagine eating it. Something that injests sand and craps out clean sand. Not for me! :confused:

actualy its awsome, but you would never know as the only meet in there is 4 strips the length of the cucumber. very tender and tasty.

Steve

Canadian Man
12-12-2004, 05:54 AM
I guess you've never eaten most shellfish then eh? :razz:

Not a big fan of that either :confused:

bulletsworld
12-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Yeah a month ago I was giving my tiger cucumber away to a reefer on the board here. When I lifted the rock to get him outta the hole I was also surprised to find that there were now TWO cucumbers! VERY KEWL! Only thing after giving the one away I still can't find the other piece that was left behind :eek:

Yeah eating sea cucumbers in soup :shocked!: YUK!