PDA

View Full Version : Additive Brand?

dino
03-19-2018, 10:43 PM
So what brand calcium /alk/ mag etc do you use ? I actually used calcium chlorine and sodium bicarbonate previously with good results but getting a “aquarium” specific branded type is reasonable so I’m going to try that although I’m not sure what the differences are as they don’t specify what’s actually in them. Also I think I’d rather try the already mixed type rather than powder as I should be using all that much.

Myka
03-20-2018, 03:51 AM
If you want a liquid product, Tailored Aquatics is a really good brand, but it does have liquid carbon in it so it's not suitable for tanks with really low nutrients since it will lower nitrate and phosphate.

If you don't need the liquid carbon then Aquaforest may be a better option. C-balance is a really good option.

dino
03-20-2018, 05:38 PM
I was hoping you would respond. the powder mixes really well?

Frogger
03-20-2018, 07:14 PM
If you are just going for cacl and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate additive the no name is as good as the named stuff, you need to add magnesium as well and do regular water changes to keep your ionic balances in check. If you want to go for an ionic balanced supplement then you don't have to add magnesium unless your levels are low. Theoretically, using an ionic balanced supplement you could get away without regular water changes (Triton method).

I use ESV Bionic because it is a really good price when on sale, although any brand of ionically balanced additive should work. Some brands have trace elements and other additives as well be sure to know what you are adding to your tank.

Although once I use up my ESV supply (several bottles, smaller tank, will be a while) I will be switching to using Sodium hydroxide, cacl and mag to help boast my pH. By that time the reviews should be in so I do not have to be the guinea pig.

Myka
03-21-2018, 02:27 AM
I was hoping you would respond. the powder mixes really well?I thought you were looking for a pre-mixed option? I listed all liquid products.

For powders, the Aquaforest chemicals are hard to beat. The price point is very close to the no name food grade stuff that people use (often cheaper actually), except you have the added security of using a product designed for aquariums so you know there aren't any hidden additives or ingredient changes. The KH Buffer takes some mixing (I use a small powerhead), the other powders mix up easily.

The Aquaforest chemicals are:

Calcium chloride anhydrous
Sodium bicarbonate (bake it to make carbonate aka soda ash)
Magnesium chloride

You can add Epsom salt to make a sulphate-balanced Mg mix. Mix it by weight, 5 parts chloride to 3 parts Epsom.

dino
03-21-2018, 12:01 PM
yes thanks I thought I would prefer liquid but I was curious about the mixing of powder. thank you so much for your suggestions