PDA

View Full Version : Safe to have corals shipped during this time of the year?

Tensa
03-05-2018, 05:16 AM
Hi guys.

There are some nice corals I've had my eye on, on some websites, but living in the South Okanagan, BC, we've been hit continuously with cold snaps. Last 2 weeks have gone down to minus 7.

I was contemplating placing an order to be shipped next week, when the lows are projected to be 0 degrees celsius.

Do you guys think that temperature is safe enough or should I wait until temperatures will be warmer?

Thank you.

spit.fire
03-05-2018, 07:45 AM
its fine in the cold as long as it shows up on time, its easier to keep corals warm in cold weather than it is to keep them cold in hot weeather

Myka
03-05-2018, 12:46 PM
The temperature isn't as big of a problem as delayed flights. Check to make sure there are no big snowstorms around the airports that the flights will be traveling. A good LFS can ship you corals in -40C and have them arrive just fine.

Dearth
03-05-2018, 02:22 PM
The temperature isn't as big of a problem as delayed flights. Check to make sure there are no big snowstorms around the airports that the flights will be traveling. A good LFS can ship you corals in -40C and have them arrive just fine.

+1

604reefer
03-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Hi guys.

There are some nice corals I've had my eye on, on some websites, but living in the South Okanagan, BC, we've been hit continuously with cold snaps. Last 2 weeks have gone down to minus 7.

I was contemplating placing an order to be shipped next week, when the lows are projected to be 0 degrees celsius.

Do you guys think that temperature is safe enough or should I wait until temperatures will be warmer?

Thank you.

My last 2 orders in Feb, from separate vendors, both had issues. One the water arrived at 94F, everything DOA and very smelly :redface:. The 2nd, arrived at 57F and I lost two frags within a couple days. The former I got full credit including shipping, the latter no credit because it wasn't DOA. FWIW, neither vendor is a canreef sponsor, but I have ordered from one of them in the past a few times with success and vendor response was great. The replacement order showed up at 75.7F, much better!

My advice, make absolute sure you open the package within 1-2 hours (and check water temp) in case it is DOA for the policy credit.

Tensa
03-06-2018, 01:36 AM
Thank you guys.

It sounds like checking what their policy is on DOA is a big deal eh? I've only ever ordered online once and it worked out fine however that was in the fall.

94F would mean the vendor used too many heat packs?

604reefer
03-06-2018, 05:44 AM
Thank you guys.

It sounds like checking what their policy is on DOA is a big deal eh? I've only ever ordered online once and it worked out fine however that was in the fall.

94F would mean the vendor used too many heat packs?

I don't think it's necessarily too many heat packs, just not packed right.